Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port

• Please log in to reply

Turloch

Turloch

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi. Another problem that has occurred while my daughter was using my pc. She is often in and out with her flash drive. I came home to find she'd swapped the USB mouse cos the orig had stopped working. Same thing happened with the replacement and I got the above error message. Now the mouse has frozen and no USB devices are recognised. thought I had faulty mice but new ones bought and equally dead. Have tried poking mouse in all USB ports but none works.

I get no messages any more. My flash drive lights up momentarily when inserted then goes dead, and doesn't appear on the Explorer list. I'm having to navigate Windows via keyboard only - a pain.

I've tried uninstalling all USB devices via Dev mgr, then rebooting. All went through reinstallation but no joy.

I have 4 in back and 2 set on front panel of PC.

Pc is an HP Pavilion, Pentium® 4 CPU 3 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, Windows XP Home, SP3.

Can anybody please help? I've followed several threads on net but none match my circumstances.

'ppreciate it.

Turloch

Advertisements

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Open up Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers root.Right click on a USB Root Hub(Do that some way and if everything fails get yourself a PS/2 mouse).Select Properties.Select the Power tab and check if there are any devices connected under Attached Devices.If everything seems OK,then select the Power Management tab and uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and click OK.Now try connecting the USB flash drive.

Turloch

Turloch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi. Thanks for the answer. I haven't been on the computer for a few days so sorry for late reply.

under Attached Devices, for 1st USB Root Hub entry it says "2 port(s) available".
There is no Power mgmt tab - just general, power, driver and details.
Status insists that each device is working properly.

One thing - 1st time I went in it said this device is disabled, and an Enable button. I clicked it but no change to the system.

Is there something else I could do?

Cheers

Terry