Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

from cross cable to straight

• Please log in to reply

afroafro

afroafro

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I'm using windows XP pro. I used to connect my laptop to equipment with cross cable. I cannot use LAN straight cable.

Other laptop working fine with straight cable.

Can I change any configuration in my laptop just to get my laptop connected to the machine from cross cable to straight cable?

thanks!

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I'm not entirely sure what your trying to do here but what cable you use depends on what your trying to connect. Some equipment such as switches can now use either as they detect which cable is plugged in. However, connecting two computers you must use crossover cable and not straight through as the devices are wired that way. If you connect using straight through you will have transmit going to transmit and receive going to receive - its not going to work.

Here's a quick guide: http://learn-network...rollover-cables

Edited by hendaz, 01 July 2011 - 04:24 AM.