Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen won't load up laptop maintenance

• Please log in to reply

aimi

aimi

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

Im having abit of a problem with my laptop. sometimes, when i hibernate, the laptop doesnt shut itself off, the screen just go black but it's still on. then i tried to open the screen but its just black so in the end, i had to shut the laptop off by pressing the button.

and sometimes, my laptop just shuts off by itself, i suspect it's due to overheating. but i tried to counter the problem by putting the laptop on a book so that the cpu fan wont get overheated. i also noticed that the cpu fan is very much coated in dust but i got scared trying to unsrew the laptop base incase i do something wrong.

anyone have any suggestions to why im having these problems?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hi aimi
It is possible that you have more than one issue going on there but for now sorting out the cause of any overheating should be done, as it is a laptop a 100% clean out is not possible without dismantling the case, this is best left to a competent person, you can however do a partial clean yourself using canned compressed air http://www.google.co...ed=0CEcQ8wIwAQ# you will need to take out any easy to remove components such as the HDD, DVD/CD drive and Ram etc raise up the laptop then direct the air through any openings only in short blasts so as to avoid possible damage to internal components such as the CPU fan, do not hold the air can upside down as there is a possibility that liquid can be expelled when doing so.
If you let us know the make and model name or number of the laptop we can look for any additional info available that will help to advise what parts can be easily removed and replaced after cleaning.

aimi

aimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi i have toshiba satellite pro C3OOD- 2OR System Unit,Part no. PSCC9E-00V001EN.

is there a tutorial which shows how to clean the laptop? you say it's easy, but i dont know half of the components you were talking about.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Unable to find anything using the details you provided toshiba satellite pro C3OOD- 2OR but here is a an example guide for another Toshiba laptop so that you have an idea http://www.insidemyl...atellite-p305d/
For the record I did not say;

it's easy,

I actually said;

as it is a laptop a 100% clean out is not possible without dismantling the case, this is best left to a competent person, you can however do a partial clean yourself using canned compressed air

aimi

aimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

thank you for the website. I've seen it and although the laptop is different from mine, i still could grasp the general principles behind it.

just want to ask whether if you think it's better if i go to a shop and ask them to demonstrate for me or if i should try using the air can myself.

oh sorry, i meant when you said 'easy to remove components HDD etc'- well i do not know how to remove them or what they are.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Please double check the laptop details you provided toshiba satellite pro C3OOD- 2OR, these details System Unit,Part no. PSCC9E-00V001EN. are not required.

aimi

aimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
hiya,

i looked at the back of the laptop. it says toshiba satellite pro L300D.

the problem is getting worse. now, the laptop keeps shutting off randomly. i did a virus scan and deleted the viruses but the problems still insist. also, if i hibernate, it will shut off automatically and if i put it to sleep, the laptop still runs but the screen goes black so i have no choice but to manually switch it off.
ah, another point that might be worth mentioning is that i have a problem with the battery. there's an icon at the bottom with a battery sign and a red cross on it, saying that 100% charged, consider placing the battery. further info. says there's a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly. is that the reason why my laptop's like this?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
There is every chance your battery/power is the cause, what happens if you remove the battery and then power up with only the AC adapter connected?
Cheapest genuine Toshiba battery I could find http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=230637805439 be aware that cheap replacement batteries can be unstable and cause problems and so are a gamble, do you keep the laptop permanently connected to the mains supply?

aimi

aimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

i removed the battery and now running the laptop with my adapter. the power icon at the bottom is same as before, a big red x on the battery but it states no battery detected. im gonna use the laptop for quite some time to see whether if there's any effect, such as shutting off the laptop by itself.

most of the times, i keep the laptop connected to the adapter, but sometimes i just use the laptop without connecting, normally when i was in a hurry to do something. but the battery only last for 5 minutes and then i need to connect it to the adapter.

i found a cheaper price for the battery: http://www.pcbattery...c.php?id=100539

is the site genuine?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hi,

but the battery only last for 5 minutes and then i need to connect it to the adapter

Classic sign that the battery is shot and caused by;

most of the times, i keep the laptop connected to the adapter,

is the site genuine?

The site is but the battery is not, it is a generic replacement, note the blue square on the one at the link I provided
this is how you can tell the genuine Toshiba type and like I said earlier using a cheaper replacement is a gamble
but entirely up to yourself.
Is the laptop running ok without the battery?