Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

OE Address book: copying to a new pc

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I have an OE address book on a W98 pc and I want to install all those contacts on a new XP pc running OE. How is that done? Thanks. ...wdc

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I would like to know what version of OE you are using but this should work.

Open the address book and choose "File", "Export..." then over to "address book" to export in the WAB format, which is proprietary to Outlook Express. This is an excellent way of backing up your address book. Back up your address book on a regular basis if you add entries frequently. The address book is usually small enough to store on a floppy disk.
(Note: you may not have to open Outlook Express to do this. First check for "Address book" along the path:
[Start]>[Programs]>[Accessories]..."Address book". If it's not there, open Outlook Express and then open your address book).

Next you will get a dialog box for exporting your address book. Save the file using the date for the name, and save it to a folder or to a removable disk that can be stored in a safe place. this is easily saved on a floppy disk. It can also be saved on a Zip disk, CD Rom, or other media. After the export is successfully completed, you will get a dialog box that tells you so. Just click OK.

If your address book becomes corrupted, deleted or otherwise comes up missing, you can restore it by importing the dated WAB file. You can also use this import feature to move your address book to a new computer. To import it, choose "File", "Import" "address book" (not "other address book), from either the main OE or the address book menus.

You will get a dialog box to select your address book file. Navigate to the file and select it in the window. The "Look in:" text entry box is used to navigate to the folder or drive where your address book file is located. Click the down arrow and select your floppy drive (A) if that is where you stored it. Highlight the file you want by clicking on it and then click [Open]. Your address book will be imported into Outlook Express.

One important note: If you are exporting to a CD Rom and then importing it from there to another computer you should drag the file onto your computer first, I'd suggest to your "Desktop". Then right-click on it and check the properties.
It is usually set to "Read only", which will be unusable for import. Just uncheck it and then follow the import steps.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
phybyr0ptyk: Thank you. I will try your advice. FWIW, both pcs use OE 6. ... wdc