Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my speakers have gone really quiet.

• Please log in to reply

LesCapitals87

LesCapitals87

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i mistakenly bought a used computer from someone i dont know and after i set it all up at home i realized i have no sound. i hooked up some older speakers from another computer but the sound is very faint. without the speakers there is no sound at all. i tried to update the driver, uninstall and reinstall and no luck. i have a HP Pavilion A1213W and my sound driver is Realtek AC97. am i missing something?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Check speaker connection to back of system
Check volume control in windows by doing the following:
Go to Start and The Run
Type in sndvol32.exe and press Enter
Make sure Master Volume is not muted and turned up
Check Cd Player volume is not muted and turned up

Asherr

Asherr

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
You can follow the steps defined by rshaffer61 or buy new speakers to enjoy the things.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

You can follow the steps defined by rshaffer61 or buy new speakers to enjoy the things.

No. The suggestion to buy new speakers is inappropriate at this time. It is necessary to ensure the computer/sound solution is working correctly first.

LesCapitals87

LesCapitals87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i made sure and turned the sound all the way up in the volume settings, as well as the advanced volume settings. when i plug my headphones in it works just fine, but without them you can barely hear the volume. Im fairly computer smart, but this has me baffled.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It takes very little power to run headphones, but the fact you can hear sound does indicate your sounds work. Are you sure those speakers are powered on and work? And connected to the correct sound port? I might try another set up speakers - if you can borrow some.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would have to agree to check the connection in the back to make sure it is in the correct out put and not a input.
If I am seeing this right your motherboard has a blue, pink and green connection on the back of the system?
Green is your speaker out so that is where you want to plug your speakers in to the system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 29 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.