Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen Blinking Cursor

• Please log in to reply

dougdrage

dougdrage

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Bought my daughters matching ASUS netbooks for Christmas running windows XP. Yesterday one of them started displaying a blank black screen with a blinking cursor. This is before any bios or other stuff comes on...you hit the power and BOOM...black screen blinking cursor. None of the "f" keys seems to do anything and you can't type where the cursor is blinking.

ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-EU2X-BK Netbook - Intel Atom N270 1.60GHz, 1GB DDR2, 160GB HDD, 10.1" WSVGA, Windows XP Home

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The first possible solution is to disconnect the battery and the power, Then hold the ON/OFF power button down for 30 secs. Reconnect the battery, then the mains power and then try again, booting as normal

dougdrage

dougdrage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried your suggestion but the results were the same. Black screen blinking cursor
Thanks for the try!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I presume you have the manual
If not it is available on this download link.
I believe there is a recessed reset button on the netbook that will return the system to the original condition.
However be aware that you will lose all your data and any programs installed since it was bought.

IT MAY BE having had another look that the recovery partition is accessed by tapping F9 on first booting.
Check your manual please

In view of the fact that it is just seven or so months old your best course of action is referral back to the seller under the guarantee.
There is a way that MAY recover your data first and there uis also a possibility of running a program from a CD, that may fix the netbook.
However as it does not have a CD drive this would mean connecting an external CD drive.

There are two strong possibilities, firstly it is a software problem OR more seriously it is a hardware problem.
Either way your best action I think is a claim under the guarantee at least to see how things look..

Has it been dropped, at all, or operated on a soft surface, obviously the first is undesirable, but a lot of people do not appreciate the danger of operating ona soft surface, preventing proper airflow to the computer.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 July 2011 - 02:05 PM.

dougdrage

dougdrage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sadly nothing seems to be working for us.

On the up side, the warranty covering parts and labor is still in effect so hopefully we can resolve it that way!

Thanks so much for everyone's efforts on this!

Peace

DOUG DRAGE