Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't finish start up

• Please log in to reply

Allgood7

Allgood7

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I am having an issue with my laptop starting up. It starts up, sometimes it goes to a black screen n asks me to start in safe mode or 3 other options. One is start normally. I choose safe mode just to be safe and it will get to my screen where I put in my personal PW and it freezes. The mouse point is on the screen but nothing I can't move it or type in the bar....

Please Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Some windows components are not installing correctly causing windows to freeze. The easist fix here would be a reinstall of windows. Do you have any restore disks? That would be my first choice, but you usually can install windows from a microsoft disk and then download the drivers from the makers website.

SRX660

Allgood7

Allgood7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey thanx for the response its greatly appreciated. How would I go about restoring?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you made the restore disks when you first bought the computer all you have to do is usually insert the first disk in the disk player drive and it should prompt you to reinstall the system. There should be instructions on the laptop on how to do this. If there is no instructions the makers website should have them to download. It should be as simple as inserting the disk and changing the disks when prompted until it is done.

I would save as much data , pictures, etc, before you do the restore, to flash drives. I learned long ago to save downloaded programs to cd's or flash drives so if i ever did have to reinstall i would not lose them. I still have programs from 10 years ago that i load on all my new computers with my backuped files.

This is the quickest method i know to find out if it was just the Operating system that is the problem or (if the problem persists)it is a hardware problem that is causing your troubles. Laptops that are out of warrantee with hardware problems i usually end up stripping out to sell parts off to try getting some of my money back.

SRX660