Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TDL4 Rootkit, Vista 64, Still Getting Video Crashes

• Please log in to reply

Carrigon

Carrigon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently discovered that I had TDL4 Rootkit on my system. Ran scans, cleaned it out. No more freezeups so far. And I had been getting crashes on waking from sleep mode where it would blue screen, say something was stuck in memory and reboot. That has stopped. System seems to be booting fine. Scans from Avast and Kapersky show clean. Malwarebytes shows clean.

I actually found this rootkit because I noticed a strange scheduled task running on my system that I couldn't kill. And I was getting invalid hash in event viewer for wininet.dll. I went over to the Vista64 forum and they helped me create a real admin account and get rid of the scheduled task. And then we did the scans and cleaned the system out. The invalid hash seems to be gone now.

The only thing I am still getting is a bad video crash where my screen will go black and the only thing I can do is press the off button on the pc and wait and turn it back on again. This is the error I am getting from event viewer, and it's showing six HUNDRED times in the past hour. Just this same error. I do not know if this was related to the rootkit or if this is just an Nvidia problem. I have been having problems with Nvidia's drivers for months. Going back to an older driver gives me the same problem. I don't know what to do to fix this. This is the event viewer log:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video4
CMDre 00000007 00000000 ffffffff 00000001 00000000

It's always this same nviddmkm error every time I get the black screen, and it will always show hundreds of times that hour in the log. I have an Nvidia 9600GS card, currently running version 260.99 driver. I had the latest one and the one before that, but both did the same thing. So I had gone into safe mode, uninstalled all the Nvidia stuff, rebooted, went back into safe mode, put the older driver on. But it's still happening.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements