Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this Real ? Encrypting 500 GB HDD in 5 Seconds ?

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

I was looking for a software that would easily Encrypt my 500 GB HDD without much of technical knowledge.

I looked at "TruCrypt" "Cryptic Disk" "Hide & Protect Any Drive" ...etc.

But they all required mounting & Unmounting & other stuff.

Then I came across a software called "StorageCrypt" which Encrypts a 500 GB HDD in less than 5 Seconds. I didn't believe it so I downloaded trial version & tried it & it did something in less than 5 seconds. But I couldn't tell if it really encrypted the HDD or just did something else that would open with a Password. Here is the Link to download free trial.

http://www.magic2003.net/

Other software took a long time to encrypt & involved many steps.

Can anyone tell me how to verify if your HDD is Really Encrypted or not & whether this software is for Real ?

Thank You.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
This program is a failure. It only encrypts the MBR and filesystem table. The file contents are not encrypted, and totally recoverable.
Stick with something like TrueCrypt please. At least it won't force you to pay for strong encryption.
If you don't want to click Mount each time, TC can be configured to ask for password on startup and/or drive connect.

P/s: By not decrypting the drive and writing to it you risk trashing your data. You have been warned.

Edited by devper94, 03 July 2011 - 06:39 AM.

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

This program is a failure. It only encrypts the MBR and filesystem table. The file contents are not encrypted, and totally recoverable.
Stick with something like TrueCrypt please. At least it won't force you to pay for strong encryption.
If you don't want to click Mount each time, TC can be configured to ask for password on startup and/or drive connect.

P/s: By not decrypting the drive and writing to it you risk trashing your data. You have been warned.

Can you please explain your P/S in more detail ?

I I encrypted & then decypted the drive using a password & it worked but I did not try to write anything on that drive after decrypting. Is that what you meant ? Should I try to write something after cecrypting & see if it writes ?

Thank You.

P/s: By not decrypting the drive and writing to it you risk trashing your data. [b]You have been warned.[/

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
no, i meant if you write to the drive when it is stll encrypted, your data might be overwritten.