Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN connection between two computers has dissapeared.

• Please log in to reply

Dasick

Dasick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a home network set up like this:

Cable -> Modem/Wireless Router (Rogers) -> Computer A
........................................-> Computer B

I could easily access files and printer from A to B and from B to A.

Recently, I added another router to the set up to get better reception around the house/backyard:

Cable -> Modem/Wireless Router (Rogers) -> Wireless Router (D-Link) -> Computer A
........................................-> Computer B

After I did that, the connection between the computers is gone. When I go into "workgroup computers", I only see the computer from which I am viewing it. I tried fiddling about with it, but nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated :)

(Found this form while searching the forum for solutions, I hope it helps)

1) What operating System's do you have on all PC's being connected to the File and Print Share network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?

Computer A: Win XP SP3 (Using a "Zver" if that tells you anything)
Computer B: Win XP SP3 (identical to A)

2) What are the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless / Wired Adapter's currently Installed on all PC's being Included in this Network?

Computer A: D-Link DI-623 Xtreme G Wireless
Computer B: SMCD3GN Rogers Wireless

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?

SMCD3GN Rogers Wireless

4) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

DHCP (automatic)

5) What Antivirus programs do you have running?

IOBit Security 360

6) What Firewalls do you have running?

Windows Firewall

7) What Pop-up Blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors do you have running?

None

8) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File Share for your network?

Restarted both computers
Followed the set up wizard.
Reset TCP/IP on one of the computers
Tried pinging the other computer. it responds to the IP address but not the computer name.

Advertisements