Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot up issues? Think it's a hardware problem!

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, if there is a speaker and it works and you don't hear any beeps, then with everything else you have eliminated, it is indeed pointing more and more towards the motherboard. Whether it is worth replacing, then gamble the CPU is still good, or just upgrading the whole works is something only you can decide. Without knowing more about specifics, I can offer no more.

Advertisements

bgm_co

bgm_co

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Well, if there is a speaker and it works and you don't hear any beeps, then with everything else you have eliminated, it is indeed pointing more and more towards the motherboard. Whether it is worth replacing, then gamble the CPU is still good, or just upgrading the whole works is something only you can decide. Without knowing more about specifics, I can offer no more.

Ok I have dug out my invoice from my accounts and this spec is on the invoice.

Hopefully this helps

Posted Image

bgm_co

bgm_co

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
And if these help, here is a internal pic and back of PC pic..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, you obviously keep it clean. :) Cable management could use some tidying up, and I always replace those wide flat ribbon cables with round cables because the flat cables do a great :unsure: job of restricting front to back air flow. But, that's not your problem here.

Sadly, I still don't have much to offer. If there was a speaker, being factory assembled they should have connected it. I don't see a button speaker on the motherboard - but we don't have full view either. In the back near the bottom, I see a flat multi-colored cable heading to the front panel. That may lead to a speaker, or another two wire cable (that I don't see) might head the same way.

Sorry, but remotely like this, I've got nothing more. If it were on my bench, I might try another CPU and PSU. A trip the shop might be in order, but then again, it is a 5 year old computer - it may be time to look for something new, current, and a whole lot faster than that one - and cheaper than £1550.

bgm_co

bgm_co

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm good with maybe having to buy a new computer, like you said it has been 5 yrs!

My biggest issue is the work on this machine that I STUPIDLY haven't backed up on my external hard drive.

How easy is it to get copies of the files off the hard drive and onto my external HD.

The PC has 2 250gb hard drives. When the computer was working, they acted as one 500gb hard drive.

I have just got a SATA to USB cable to try copy them across, is it as easy as that?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
The easiest way would probably be to pull that drive out of that computer and install it in an enclosure, or in another computer as a secondary (NOT boot) drive, then simply copy them over.

However, I am a bit concerned with your comment saying, "the PC has 2 250gb hard drives. When the computer was working, they acted as one 500gb hard drive."

How were they configured to do that? If in a striped RAID, this can be a problem because the files may be stored across both drives. Striped RAID is for speed, not data integrity and should never be used for critical data simply because the loss of one drive can destroy all the data, unless a robust backup plan is used.

bgm_co

bgm_co

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I imagine that is the case, it never showed up as 2 seperate hard drives. Always showed up as one C drive with 480 something GB of storage space.

I tried this sata to usb cable and pluged it into my laptop. its asking me to format disk... Is this becuase the other hard drive is not plugged in with it to make one hard drive?

Files shared across the two hard drives was my worry when I saw them.

I could probably buy another PC next week if I can just chuck these 2 hard drives in and get the information off them.

bgm_co

bgm_co

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I found the manual for the motherboard, and it does mention Striped RAID.

Posted Image

Would one of these products " http://www.runtime.o...ry-products.htm " work if I were to run one of them on my laptop and linked the sata-2-usb cable up to the PC hard drives to copy the files across to my external hard drive?

I going to desperately need some of the files on that PC by the end of the week.. :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Not sure I can help you. I know you cannot just "chuck" a RAID array into a new computer and start using it. The RAID controllers would have to be identical, to start.

RAID recovery software may help, but I've got no experience with it, so I would hate to recommend spending $100. You might try Recuva, from the makers of CCleaner or Restoration. These are free.

Sadly, RAID0, or striped arrays, as yours appears to be, was never intended for data integrity and should always be used with a robust backup plan. Your only option may be to use a data recovery service - which can be very expensive, into the $1000s - but depending on the data, may be well worth it.

Does your manual mention any RAID tools?

bgm_co

bgm_co

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
These are the only other 2 pages in the manual mentioning RAID..

Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisements

bgm_co

bgm_co

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
to eliminate from the cause of this. If it were the CPU? If I got a pentium 4 3.4 (same as existing) to replace it. would this just get the system going again or would it need to be configured in some way... (this is if it were the CPU at fault)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
CPU? The CPU is just the main processor on the motherboard inside your computer case. It has nothing to do with the RAID.

It looks like your only chance of recovery is the Resolve Conflict option, or the recovery options mentioned earlier. That said, I suspect anything you attempt has the potential to make matters worse. You need to prepare for the worse and accept that all your data may be lost. :) Sorry, but unless someone else familiar with striped array failures has another suggestion, I don't see any other options for you.

bgm_co

bgm_co

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Sorry I ment if the CPU is the original problem.. Because as far as we know for now the hard drives maybe fine, just can't access them because the system isn't working. And if the CPU is at fault and was replaced I would be able to boot the comupter up again, or would this not be the case?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, as mentioned several times from the beginning - it appears the motherboard is at fault and if it is, a new CPU will just be a waste of money.

If the CPU is faulty, and only the CPU, then it might work. But if me, I would not buy a new CPU for a 5 year old system unless I knew for a fact that would fix it, and I got a really good deal on the CPU.

bgm_co

bgm_co

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thank you for all your patients... My last question would be if I do change the motherboard and the hard drives are fine (not damaged). Would I be able to link them up to the new motherboard without losing my files/data on the hard drives??