Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot up issues? Think it's a hardware problem!

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Sorry, I either did not get or missed the notice for your previous replies.

There are a couple issues here. First is legal. In terms of Windows licensing, a new motherboard is considered a new computer so a new Windows license will be needed. The exception is when replacing the old board as part of a repair action because of failure of the first board - then it is legal BUT the boards must be identical, or the recommended replacement by the original board's maker if the original board is no longer in production or available.

In other words, you cannot "upgrade" the motherboard in the process and use the same Windows license. The exception there is if the original license is a "full Retail" version, as bought separately at a retail outlet.

As far as the RAID controller - in theory he is right. But theory and real world don't always jive. For certainly you would have to be certain the controller is the exact same model and revision number, and that may not be easy to determine, especially before purchase.

Advertisements

bgm_co

bgm_co

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok so just revisiting this problem.

Is getting the motherboard fixed a possibility? or is it unlikely that it could be fixed?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Repairing a motherboard is not typically a good solution economically. Troubleshooting electronics (finding the failed components) is usually the most difficult and time consuming aspect of fixing electronics - unless there is visible physical damage to a device. But note typically, all "looks" normal during visual inspections. So to find the bad components, it requires a skilled technician with the necessary schematics and test equipment. And being a time consuming process, it could easily take a couple hours of labor or more. That would be over $100+ just for the time involved to find the problem. Then the part or parts would need to be purchased (if available), and then replaced.

So generally it is best (more cost effective) to replace the motherboard.

bgm_co

bgm_co

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Repairing a motherboard is not typically a good solution economically. Troubleshooting electronics (finding the failed components) is usually the most difficult and time consuming aspect of fixing electronics - unless there is visible physical damage to a device. But note typically, all "looks" normal during visual inspections. So to find the bad components, it requires a skilled technician with the necessary schematics and test equipment. And being a time consuming process, it could easily take a couple hours of labor or more. That would be over $100+ just for the time involved to find the problem. Then the part or parts would need to be purchased (if available), and then replaced.

So generally it is best (more cost effective) to replace the motherboard.

If I am thinking along the right lines here this maybe my best option.
All i need to do is get my data of the RAID Striped HD, then I'd happily scrap the computer if need be. So I'm guessing if the motherboard can be fixed, the BIOS settings will be the same? so I can access the files I need off the HD.
Maybe an expensive option but thats the price of my stupidity for not backingthose files up.

Would this possibly work like this, or are my thinkings completely wrong here?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

So I'm guessing if the motherboard can be fixed, the BIOS settings will be the same? so I can access the files I need off the HD.
Maybe an expensive option but thats the price of my stupidity for not backingthose files up.

Would this possibly work like this, or are my thinkings completely wrong here?

Unfortunately, your data may be long gone. During the repair process, the technician would likely ensure there are no voltages present anywhere that may interfere with his testing. That means he would (or should) remove the CMOS battery. That would reset the BIOS.

Also, unless you are using a RAID controller card you cannot simply move the RAID array from one computer (motherboard) to another computer (motherboard).

Sorry, no good news here.