Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion PSU or Mobo Dead

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi;

I have been asked to help fix a dead HP Pavllion DV4000.

The Laptop is completely dead, with the power cord disconnected when you switch on the mains the green LED on the PSU DC connector lights up bright green, but when you connect it to the Laptop the LED fades and goes out, this is the same with or without the battery connected.

With a multimeter the power output from the PSU DC jack reads 31v (which is the output stated on the PSU). However as soon as you plug it into the DC socket on the Laptop the LED goes out and the reading (if your quick) is <5v to 0v. Its as if plugging it into the Laptop is causing the PSU to cut out??

WIth the battery connected and the mains power on pressing the power butting on the Laptop does nothing.

Any ideas on how to identify what's wrong?

Thanks

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

WIth the battery connected and the mains power on pressing the power butting on the Laptop does nothing.

What immedaitely springs to my mind, is, do we know that battery is good.

Secondly it sounds as though the power supply, may be OK, when not under LOAD, but then as soon as a demand is made, it fails.
I think your first course of action is to try a good known power supply.
OR if possible charge the battery and try a good known battery.
That all said of course it may NOT be the Power supply, it could be inside the laptop.

Basicaly you are going no further I think until you try one of these suggestions