Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

System Restore Froze on XP

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Installed Samsung monitor software, which I was NOT going to do, but wanted to see what it was all about (multiscreen & magictune). When I started firefox all my bookmarks and settings were gone, grrrr. I tried to do system restore to the day before and it froze. I left it over night and it never finished. Shut down w/ power button, restarted and tried again; this time it froze at "windows is shutting down". So tried to start in safe mode. Looks like that hung too because it started in normal mode (It showed all the drivers loading but looks like it sat there for longer than I thought it should). So uninstalled mulitscreen through it's uninstaller (program wasn't listed in Windows Installer Clean Up)and MagicTune through add/remove in control panel. Restarted system as instructed and all is good. My question is: why did these two programs cause system restore to freeze??

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have absolutely no idea and I doubt that anyone else will have without knowing the details of the software you installed.
My guess is that it was either a corrupted install. Many anti-virus programs do not like certain sinstallations and should be disabled when installing the porgram.
Perhaps a URL of the download, or was it a CD, will assist..
Are your bookmarks and settings now back.
Can you NOW start in Safe Mode.

Is this of help for the problem

• Is your graphics card on the MagicTune Compatibility List? Click here to verify your graphics card is compatible.
Having further exmained the situation, although I was not aware before I see that the net is peppered with posts regarding problems with MagicTune
I've read several threads from google search of "this computer system does not support this version of magictune"
Some folks seem happy with it, while others are frustrated!
At best, MagicTune seems to be "temperamental" when it comes to playing nicely with other software and drivers.

What you might try...

--- At least temporarily disable any non-essential items in your Startup file (you can do this via MSCONFIG)
--- Try updating your video/graphics chip driver (from Computer's website), and if not, then from Chip's website.

At least a couple of other references which I searched suggested a conflict with security utilities.
--- What Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware do you have installed?

Do you have the same difficulties when browsing with Internet Explorer?
---(I ask because the most recent update of Firefox 3.6.15 was a security related update)

--- What version of MagicTune do you have installed?
------ Note: If you decide to download a newer version of MagicTune, be sure to uninstall the current version before installing any newer.

Note: As with any trouble-shooting and application installation/change procedure
-----------Create a fresh Restore Point, and backup your Registry prior to making changes.

Personally I would just leave it as is., without the programs installed, they are really only facilitating what can be done in Windows anyway.

I am not quite certain that the system restore problem is related to this issue.
as above Can you start in Safe Mode.
I do not recommend you test system restore by simply trying it, just in case, you have another problem.
What anti-virus do you use please.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 July 2011 - 03:44 PM.