Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes while on Internet

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
My Windows XP Pro desktop freezes for approximately 2 seconds every 2 seconds while online. This happens only while I am online, because when I disconnect from the internet, it stops freezing. Now this does not happen every time I go online, but it happens at least twice a day. When it freezes I can't move the mouse or do anything. Most of the time when it freezes, I hear a hummmm. Sometimes, it freezes without any sound.

I doubt its a heat related problem because when I disconnect from the internet, it works fine. Any ideas what this problem is?

Edited by 01010011, 03 July 2011 - 03:39 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It might be one of your addons that is causing the temporary freezes, disable all of them to see if it still freezes and if not reenable them one by one until you find which one is causing the freezes, if you find one then either do not use that addon or reistall it if you need it.

I would also empty my internet cache and temp folders, you can use the program ATF Cleaner it is free small and easy to use.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks for your reply Alzeimer.

Ok, since I use Chrome, I checked the installed extensions and discovered that I had two:
  • Div HiQ - Version 1.2.1.94
  • DivX Plus Web Player HTML5 <video> - Version 2.1.1.94

I did not even realize I had them installed, nor do I need them so I deleted them!

To clean the temp files, I usually use CCleaner but I've use ATF in the past.

Nice recommendations, thanks, lets see if this works now!

Edited by 01010011, 04 July 2011 - 11:49 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ok, deleting the plugin from Chrome did not work because my computer started to freeze on the internet again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what happens if you use firefox or IE...

we may be able to help BUT you need to explain in more detail exactly what is happening...

tell us everything you tried to fix the problem and what the results were...

did you add any new hardware or software recently...
get any updates for xp or any software just prior to the problem...
what is the make and model of your computer...
what are your system specs...

can you boot into safe mode...if you can, how does it run...

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

what happens if you use firefox or IE...

I never use any other browser other than Chrome. I reinstalled Chrome a few weeks ago because I picked up a browser redirect, but I got rid of that. I can try IE for a few days to see what happens

did you add any new hardware or software recently...
get any updates for xp or any software just prior to the problem...

I have been experiencing this problem ever since I purchased the computer 2 years ago. I added no new hardware since purchasing it, but I've added new software since purchasing it.

what is the make and model of your computer...

Its one of those custom built no name computers

what are your system specs...

Please see attached file for system specs

can you boot into safe mode...if you can, how does it run...

Well, ever since I dual-booted the system with BackTrack 4, I no longer get the prompt to boot into Windows safe mode. Instead I get the option to boot into BackTrack 4 R2, BackTrack R2 recovery mode, BackTrack 4 R2 memtest86+, or Windows XP.

Attached Files

Edited by 01010011, 05 July 2011 - 06:54 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for the future in case you ever need a driver...go here...save this link somewhere safe
first clear out some space on your c drive ...you only have 14% free space and thats not enough to defrag...
so lets go in this order...
clear out some space on the c drive
defrag the drive
run chkdsk /r on the drive
reboot and if the problem is still present
nojoy...
we really should see if you can run in safe mode with networking and if the problem is gone then its a driver or service issue
but
I'm reluctant to tell you to do this because if malware is present you can have issues so first run all your tools after updating them first to be sure your not infected...when your sure use msconfig and put a tick in the safeboot and networking option located in the Boot.ini tab...and reboot and see how it goes

here is the fix for the booting loop just in case...

Using MSConfig to force safe mode with the /Safe boot option when there is malware on your system could render your computer unbootable... The Safeboot option modifies the Boot.ini file by adding the /safeboot:minimal argument to your operating systems startup line. Some types of malware can delete or alter the safeboot key in the registry resulting in the inability to reboot fully into safe mode or back to normal mode. When this occurs, you may be locked in a continuous reboot loop afterward where you cannot get back to MSConfig and undo your selection until the /safeboot argument is removed from the boot.ini.

When you went into msconfig and checked the safe mode thing... you added a temporary switch

/safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog

to the normal boot boot.ini file

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

which is why you cannot boot.

If you can use the recovery console you can try this...

the lowdown is here..for getting into the recovery console

In recovery console... after logging in... type in ... bootcfg /add

Windows will scan your drive for windows installation and should only find one.

[1]: c:\windows

type in 1

Windows will prompt... ENTER LOAD IDENTIFIER...type in...temp windows

Windows will prompt... ENTER OS LOAD OPTIONS...Do not type anything... hit ENTER

type in exit... press enter
windows will reboot

This process will have added a second or possibly a third choice to your original boot menu
TEMP WINDOWS
WINDOWS XP Home or pro
RECOVERY CONSOLE...if your computer even has one

Choose TEMP WINDOWS in the boot menu
This will start Windows without any switches... enabling you to get back into windows xp normal mode
after you get booted to normal mode use MSCONFIG ... click on the Boot.ini tab ...uncheck.. /SAFEBOOT

From there we can try and determine what else is going on