Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs won't start, computer wont shut down.

• Please log in to reply

Shepparrd

Shepparrd

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Firstly! Hi I'm new to the forum! Secondly! I have an HP with Windows 7 Ultimate, 640GB HD, and 3GB RAM. Anyways! I got my hands on a computer my grandfather was having trouble with, after a brother-in-law did his geekworthy work to it, I was able to get my hands on it for free. After beginning to install my necessary programs I began my regular virus/adware/spyware/registry cleaning routine and for some reason Ad-Aware won't go any further than 481 files, while still under the Processes section, my Windows Defender won't go further than 3 files (freezing on wmplayer.exe), my Windows Media Player will freeze completely at startup (You see the program's window but you cannot click anything, I have to end the process to make it go away). My Uniblue Powersuite starts up with the splash screen and does nothing more but stay with the splash. On top of that my computer will not shutdown. It goes to the "Shutting Down" part and then just chills there for a while and won't shut down. I can leave it for an hour and come back with it still saying it's shutting down. I've scanned for viruses with several other programs and come up with nothing. I've asked around some and come to no conclusions. Can anyone here help me...?

Advertisements

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Well this points towards an infection.However at first try this:

To shutdown your system open up Windows Run and type:
shutdown -f -s -t 0

If that shuts down the computer,then the virus is perhaps not as powerful to prevent the computer from shutting down.
Secondly,open up Windows Run again and type msconfig.Go to the startup tab and uncheck any un-necessary programs which you suspect to be virus/malware/programs that may be showing maliculous behavior.Then open task manager and kill all unwanted programs that were started by <Your Username>.If all else fails try re-installing Windows XP.

For more help visit Advanced Troubleshooting...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
anuvab1911 We don't recommend a reinstall of an OS right away. That is a last course of action unless the OP wants it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Shepparrd .... Welcome to GeeksToGo,, Look around and enjoy the forums. If you need any help just post in the appropriate forum and we will be glad to help. We are all volunteers so please understand we are not always here and it may take some time to respond to your post. :) :unsure: :yes:

I began my regular virus/adware/spyware/registry cleaning routine

My Uniblue Powersuite

First off ditch the registry cleaning. It does no good at all. If fact it will make more of a mess than it fixes. If the Uniblue Powersuite is an optimizer then ditch that also. Optimizers usually never work.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Link to "Why not to use a Registry cleaner"

http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Shepparrd

Shepparrd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the responses, I'll stop the registry cleaning and well, I did all of the above things listed by both users (except for reinstalling the OS as that would be a major hassle on my end), however thus far nothing has helped :/

Is there any other ideas or is reinstalling the OS the only way?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Yes there is something else. lets be sure you have no malware or virus.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here