Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Updates Problems

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Had a weird experience with the updates to my brand new windows 7 OS. My computer was working great and then windows did the auto update to service pack one followed by several small updates over the last few days. As soon as these happened my computer got slower and my wireless connection kept dropping out. So I check out the update log and alot of the updates said "fail" on them. So I did the check for repairs on updates and it said it fixed alot of them but yet when I re-checked the update log the ones that said fail before still said that. Also I was losing my wireless connection at least once every 15 minutes...horrible...just awful!!!! So I did a system restore to before the update of service pack one. Took forever as compared to old system restores on windows xp...but now everything works fine again so I turned off the auto updates for now.

My question to the gurus is why did this happen and why did I get so many updates that failed??? What would cause me to drop my wireless connection so frequently??? Has any of you experienced this problem at all??? Should I go to the windows site and install the updates manually since maybe they had server issues while my computer was trying to download and install??? I am at a loss on why this is happening so any info would be appreciated.

thank you....

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Also along with this problem is the fact no matter how many times I try I cannot install Windows 7 service pack 1. It ALWAYS fails. I did some research on the web last night and read a ton of messages of people with the same problem and no real resolution...only guess work and nothing really worked for anybody. Also people are saying it is not important to install anyhow and that is causes more problems then it is worth??? Might this be a true statement???

Here is the exact error message I get from my Windows update console:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932) Failed

Hope someone gets to this thread with some sound ideas for me to try...thanks

peace out,
daddy

Edited by daddy, 05 July 2011 - 11:34 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Manually installing the updates one at a time is the correct approach, try rebooting after each update to see if the issue reoccurs.
It is important to install all SPs regardless of what OS you are using, this is because they contain security updates and hot-fixes.
What anti virus software do you have running?
This may be worth you reading http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5842

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I run Microsoft Security Essentials.

So that link you gave me, I should download and install those parts of SP1 ONE at a time??? Does the order matter?

Thanks for responding ;-)

peace out,
daddy

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Your AV shouldn't`be causing you the problem, but you never know.
Install them one at a time and in the correct order to avoid conflicts.
See how it goes if no luck consider temporarily swapping your AV to
Avast and trying again.