Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem With new PC

• Please log in to reply

azor

azor

• Pip
  • 3 posts
PC Components:

CPU:AMD ATHLON II X4 640 3.0GHZ QUAD-CORE BOX

CPU FAN:XILENCE AM3 PWM CPU COOLER

Motherboard:ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 RETAIL

RAM:KINGSTON KVR1333D3N9K2/4G DDR3 4GB (2X2GB) PC10666 1333MHZ VALUE RAM DUAL CHANNEL KIT 40.85 €

GPU:ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD2 1GB PCI-E RETAIL 41.78 €

PSU:LC-POWER LC8700 700W PSU 99.00 €

The Problem:
When I hit the Power On button(ATX wire and all Front Panel wires connected) It starts for 1 second all fans are spining for about 2-10 cirles then the PC goes dead...If i hit the power button again it does absolutely nothing!Though if i remove the power cable and reconnect it it does the same thing all over again!WHAT I AM DOING WRONG? :)

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi azor and welcome. Sorry you are having problems with your new computer. Who built it? If someone else, take it back!

If you, then a couple things.

A common mistake of new builders and distracted experienced builders is having more standoffs in the case than the motherboard has corresponding mounting holes. This is because cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards, of various sizes. This results in the motherboard shorting out when power is applied. If lucky, no permanent damage occurs and simply removing the extra standoff(s) fixes the problem, but sadly, it can result in destroying the motherboard, and everything plugged into it.

So I generally recommend pulling everything out of the case again and verifying you only have a brass standoff where there is a motherboard mounting hole. You might consider assembling the computer outside the case on a wooden bread board or some non-conductive hard surface to see if it works out of the case.

Standoff and mounting screw: Posted Image

Another common mistake is not connecting all the required power connections. Most motherboards take two connections and many graphics cards require a separate connection too.

Sadly, you have invalidated your CPU warranty by using a 3rd party cooler. it is important all readers understand that both Intel and AMD warranty their “retail”, boxed versions of CPUs that come with supplied heatsink fan assemblies as a "unit". That is, the 3 year warranty does not cover repairs if the "unit" is split and the CPU is used with an aftermarket 3rd party cooling solution.

Please note I am just a messenger. Read the warranties - it's in there.

AMD CPU Warranty
Intel CPU Warranty

AMD is quite clear,

"This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."

Note that normally there is no problem using a 3rd party cooler as most are good and effective - if properly mounted and maintained. And most CPUs last for years without problems, if kept cool. But it is generally best to use the OEM fan, at least at first until it is determined everything works.

That said, no CPU HSF is effective without a proper layer of TIM.

azor

azor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I hope the things you said for stand offs aren't true cause if they are im f---- up :)
When I 1st installed the Motherboard on the case I did it withouth the stand offs do you think that this caused permanent damage in alll the components? :/
I tried the PSU unit in another PC and it works just fine BUT when i try different PSU that the one i bought it show the same results again >.<
Any more Ideas or i am in deep shi...?
BTW all the wires from the PSU are installed correctly i am very sure of that..

PS:Can't i just install the original CPU cooler so I can get the warranty??

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

hope the things you said for stand offs aren't true

When I 1st installed the Motherboard on the case I did it withouth the stand offs do you think that this caused permanent damage in alll the components? :/

What I said about standoffs is very true. But that was with one tiny stand off touching a tiny part of the motherboard. By not using any standoffs, 1000s of electrical contacts on the back of the board likely shorted. That is not good at all - unless yours just happens to be one of those cases that does not use standoffs and instead uses non-conductive platforms - but those are not common - yet.

With that many points of contact, you may have been lucky and the PSU sensed the fault before applying destructive power. If me, I would pull everything out of the case and assemble on a wooden bread board with bare essentials and see what happens.

PS:Can't i just install the original CPU cooler so I can get the warranty??

You can, but if you do that and attempt to get a free replacement under the warranty without informing them upfront that you used a 3rd party cooler, that is deception for personal gain, or "fraud" - a serious criminal offense.

azor

azor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thnks Man for all the help... :)
Now at least i will know in the future that stand offs are needed..
Today we are taking the PC to get the warranty for Motherboard cause probably it burned....

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Today we are taking the PC to get the warranty for Motherboard cause probably it burned....

Well, do note if I was the maker/seller, I would NOT honor the warranty for clearly it was a user mistake because I have no doubt the manuals for the motherboard and the case both mention proper standoff placements.