Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

previous fan failure message on Dell Model 8250 under XP

• Please log in to reply

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Everyone

I am getting a message on start up of "previous fan failure" on a Dell Model 8250 under XP. Does anyone know how to get rid of it.

It is apparently not on the HD as I put another HD in and still got the message

jsullivan

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
In your Computer when you open it up how many fans do you see, your message could be related to a case fan which helps the air flow or it could be for your CPU fan which you need if you do not want your cpu to burn of overheating.

Find out as soon as possible which fans is not working and replace it.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Alzeimer

The problem is the fan was REPLACED, but the message "previous fan failure" comes up telling me that there had been a failure - the new fan is working perfectly, but I do not know how to get rid of the message.

jsullivan33403

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Was it replaced by the the same kind of fan with the same pin connections, if a 3 or 4 pin connection you need the same fan with the same amount of wires on it (3 or 4)

You can also check in your BIOS Settings to see if you have the option to HALT ON ALL ERRORS or NO ERRORS if you do try to put it on NO ERRORS or only KEYBOARD ERROR if you have that option, this might stop showing you your annoying message (usually Dells are limited in their BIOS options but worth to check)