Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring photographs

• Please log in to reply

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi everyone in computer world,
I would really appreciate some help on this one please :)
I have on my pc,my sons wedding photographs that I need to send to my sister in Tasmania, the total file size is 2.72GB. A normal CD-R will only hold 700MB so this will mean copying a load of discs which is going to work out expensive.
I have a DVD Writer/player on mty Pc so I thought that I would put them all on there, but when I try to write them I get a message saying that Windows has encountered a problem copying the files so no go there. I am trying to use a DVD-RW is that a correct or should it be a DVD-R.
I am using 7zip to try and reduce space but I would have thought that with capacity of 4.7 GB on a DVD there should be stacks of room, being a DVD should it be formatted before use?
I run Windows XP Pro SP3 if that is any help.
Looking forward to any help that you can give.
Regards
Graham :unsure:

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Use DVD+R unless your DVD-RW drive specifically says DVD-R. Don't use a DVD-RW disc which is essentially trying to use the DVD drive as a large floppy drive.

What Cd/DVD burning software do you have on your computer, Roxio, Nero, ????

You could download and install ImgBurn, a simple, easy to use free CD/DVD burner that works well and is highly recommended.

Also, don't bother compressing pictures as they are already compressed and you could actually make them larger.

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for that my friend, I will buy the correct DVD-s today and give it another try.
I have Nero installed so hopefully all should go well :)
Will let you know what happens.
Regards
Graham