Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot or Boot extremely slow

• Please log in to reply

kfoster

kfoster

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I don't know what happen, but out of the blue, my computer just booted up extremely slow. I did a normal shutdown and a power on reboot but this time it didn't boot up at all. It got to the motherboard intro screen and quit which usually stay on a few second before the Windows screen come on. I thought I have a motherboard or CPU problem, but it finally came up (after many reboots).
What wierd is that once it was up, Windows works normal. Selecting windows and programs changing screens all works at top speed. Trying to get it to start up, That the problem!!

My Specs:

AMD Athlon 2600
512 MB ram
Windows XP
Service Pack 1

Any suggestions on how to toubleshoot this problem?

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok, barring out any hardware problems at this point, read this and follow the proceedure:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;314503

kfoster

kfoster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Update on my problem, ;)

I still have the booting up slow or not at all, and the link you give me told me to make a bootdisk to check my boot sector.

The problem is two-fold. First I cannot enter my BIOS, it just come up with a flashing cursor. Second, When Windows finally come up, I can't read from the floppy drive. When I tried to format, it come up with "IO errors cannot perform task". Also I have two HDs, C drive OK, but I can't access the second one. It recognized it but when I click on it, it come back saying its a unformated drive and needs to be formated.

Is this a hardware or software problem. I can't check the software, because I can't sccess the hardware.

Any ideas :tazz: