Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New PC Build

• Please log in to reply

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Does anyone have any concerns over this list of parts which I've put together for a new machine?

This machine will be a multi-function box, used primarily for Internet, Games, Office, Music etc.

Case ANTEC Nine Hundred Two ATX PC
PSU Antec Truepower New 650W A/PFC Power Supply
Motherboard / CPU Asus Intel Ultimate Bundle (Includes P6X58D-E Motherboard & Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz Processor)
Graphics Card ASUS ENGTS 450 DIRECTCU/DI/1GD5 1GB GeForce GTS 450 DIRECTCU PCI E 2.0
RAM Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 8GB (2x240) DIMM Unbuffered 9-9-9-24 XMS3 (x3 = 24Gb)
SDD Kingston SSD V+100 96GB SATA2 2.5inch Hard Drive
HDD 1 Western Digital Caviar 2TB (7200 RPM) SATA 6GB/s 64MB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Black
HDD 2 Western Digital Caviar 2TB (7200 RPM) SATA 6GB/s 64MB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Black
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Optical Drive Plextor PX-LB950SA 12x Internal BD-RW Retail Black

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
We can assume the CPU is compatible since it is part of a bundle, but did you verify the RAM is from the QVL - qualified vendors list - on the motherboard's webpage?

And to the RAM, just to make sure you get the order right, with 8Gb, you need 64-bit Windows.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Wow! Thanks for the advance warning!

I just did a very quick search online and there are very few RAM chips actually on the list which aren't prohibitively expensive.

So...... I need a new option for CPU, MOBO & RAM.

Do you have any suggestions?

I'm looking for either an i5 or an i7 and ideally would like a fair bit of RAM - 12Gb+

In my previous spec I had 3 x 8Gb stifks totalling 24Gb.

I'm also planning on running 64 bit end-to-end

Edited by Jonesey, 05 July 2011 - 03:20 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
You do not have to buy off that list. Just make sure your RAM has the same specs as those that are on the list. There are just too many out there for board makers to test them all.