Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system recovery issues

• Please log in to reply

vanillarose

vanillarose

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok so tonight i tried to restore my desktop to factpory settings, iv done this many times before and has no trouble. However once ti was done and restared i got black screen wiht this error "NTLDR is compressed, press alt and d to resatrt"

i had many files compressed ebfore i satrted system recovery and i didnt kn ow that it woudl have this affect. I dont have any system cds liek recovery and i cant pull up windows recovery console ro get into my pc at all. I desperatly need to use it again and my pc is an odl one and is long past warranty covered. what can i do? is there anywhere i can mybe download recovery cd online?

here is my system infomration

hp pavilion a604x

windows xp

system numnber: pc119a-aba

serial number: mxk42319n1

please help! :)

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
ARCDC will make a recovery CD for you.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

Edited by skifxr, 06 July 2011 - 01:27 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I dont have any system cds liek recovery and i cant pull up windows recovery console ro get into my pc at all.

Does your system have a recovery partition on it then?

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Error: NTLDR is compressed. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart

http://h10025.www1.h...20758_alternate

If you have compressed the hard disk drive using the Compress drive to save disk space option under the Properties menu for your hard disk drive and have performed a non-destructive recovery or a system recovery, the following error message may appear:

Error: NTLDR is compressed. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart

You can use the following steps if you are unable to open a recovery console:

Turn on the computer. When the initial logo screen appears, press the F10 key repeatedly until a message about starting recovery appears.

At the Recovery screen, click Advanced Options and then press the Alt and D keys at the same time to go to a command prompt.
At the command prompt, enter the following: diskpart
At the command prompt, enter the following: list volume
Remember the drive letter next to line for the main hard drive; HP_PAVILION or PRESARIO.
To close Diskpart, enter the following: exit
At the command prompt, enter the drive letter followed by a colon (:). For example, H:
At the command prompt, enter the following: cd \windows\system32
At the command prompt, type the following: compact ntldr /u <the drive letter>:\ntldr
For example if the drive letter was H, you would type: compact ntldr /u h:\ntldr
Type exit and press Enter .
Click Quit .

The error message should be resolved.

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

ARCDC will make a recovery CD for you.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

• Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

thanks! but i have windows home edition not rpefessional, does this matter? also downloading this program..is it jsut to burn teh progrma wiht or does windows xp reocovery prgram burn automatically on it? not sure who this works exactly, do i brun onot cd and then put it into my destop?

peter99. iv trried this already and ti didnt work said it was unrecognized or something but ill try again. also rshraffer69, i belevie it does i jsut cant access it

Edited by vanillarose, 07 July 2011 - 04:53 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Again does your system have a recovery partition?
What is the make and model of the system?
Is it a brand name system and if so what?

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Again does your system have a recovery partition?
What is the make and model of the system?
Is it a brand name system and if so what?

I think i already asnwered this questions. Yes i do have recovery partition, but i cannot access it as i explained above. ehre is my ssytem information or do you ened to kwnow more than this?.

window xp home edition

hp pavilion a604x

system numnber: pc119a-aba

serial number: mxk42319n1

I suppsoe it is a brand name. Hp is brand name right?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK have you tried the steps outlined in post 4 as they should be able to uncompress your NTLDR so you can restore your system back to factory defaults.

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yes I did and it didn't work

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a complete blow away main partition and then recreate it. Then you should be able to do a fresh installation.
Take care not to blow away the recovery partition or you will have to locate a installation disk or contact HP for a set of original recovery disks if they still have them.

Advertisements

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Sounds like a complete blow away main partition and then recreate it. Then you should be able to do a fresh installation.
Take care not to blow away the recovery partition or you will have to locate a installation disk or contact HP for a set of original recovery disks if they still have them.

uh im not sure wehat you mean, how do i recreate it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In other words you not only have to format the drive you first need to delete the main partition and then recreate it.

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok but i dont know how to go about doing that. how on earth do i do that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I can tell you how to do it with a standard installation disk but I don't know if the HP recovery partition will allow you to delete the main partition.
If you do do it with a standard installation disk it may erase the recovery partition unusable in the future.
Using the standard installation disk you will be able to specify which partition to delete and then you can remake it but there is always a chance of something going wrong. The choice is yours to decide but if you have a drivers disk it makes the decision easier. If not then we need to first make sure we get all the original drivers for your system before we proceed.

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thats the thing. I dont have installion disk i have none of orgila cds to the computer anymore. i was going to just satrt fomr stracth and reinstall windows anew but id need dirvers to reinstal which i dont have. thast why i was trying to ask is there somewhere i can download what i need