Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reset Modem ~ Now no internet ~ Win7

• Please log in to reply

Akimb0

Akimb0

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Okay, so I booted up my PC this morning and my internet was amazingly slow. Someone suggested resetting my modem. Foolishly I did a hard reset, using the pinhole sized rest button on the back of my modem. Then it lost connection to the internet. So I tried going onto my modem options via my web browser where I disabled wireless (which had come on again since I reset) then used the reset option there as well, hoping that I'd get my internet back.

Now I have no internet and my PC will no longer communicate with my modem.

I'm running Win7 64 and connecting my "wireless" modem by Ethernet cable.

In my network screen I don't even have a home network anymore, just an Unidentified Network.

Unidentified Network - Public Network - No network access.

I've tried so many things from google that I'm about to give up and just reformat, but I'm honestly terrified that even if I do that it may not work again.

Things I've tried:

Getting back my home network -> It seems to be permanantly gone.

msconfig > services > disable or delete ##id_string1.6844(lots of numbers) -> This wasn't there to disable.

Disable Bonjour service -> not on my PC

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt -> did nothing

ROUTE DELETE 0.0.0.0 -> Said it couldn't find to delete (?)

Checked my DNS settings etc. All set to auto.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

The above did nothing to help.

Checked ICS (connection sharing) was disabled.

IPconfig /release IPconfig /renew -? didn't work either.

Last thing I tried was manually entering a gateway ip, since the space in my ipconfig was blank. I now have an IP showing in the gateway, but still no internet.

Should I set up manually like this: http://windows7theme...-windows-7.html

I'm really confused and frustrated atm, so I'm going to take a break...but for the above link, I have no idea at all what I would be supposed to type into the boxes for a manual connection, or even if it'd help.

If the Local Area Connection hasn't managed to get an address (in which case it may have a "169.254" address), give an address manually:

IP address - 192.168.1.2

Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (the router's IP address).

Would these be right? At the moment my modem is assigning one of the 169.254 addresses.

Honestly, I've been at this for hours now and I just feel ill whenever I try and turn my mind back to this. Will formatting my HDD fix this? I'm really at a loss. Please help :)
Edit: One of the replies I seem to remember involved phoning my ISP and getting a new IP assigned to me, or something similar, I have no idea if this would work, but thought I should mention it.

Also, I'm concerned that if I reformat, then my problem may still be there, could I need a new modem perhaps? Just trying to cover all eventualities here.

edit 2: Probably goes without saying, but I've power cycled my PC, my modem, unplugged my ethernet cable etc. at least 10 times trying various things so far. No go :unsure:

edit 3: Forgot to mention that I've also tried a system restore, but that didn't fix this problem either.

edit4: Various other messages I've got from Microsofts Troubleshooter:

The homegroup is not available because you are not connected to the home network.
No networks are set to the the home network location.
Local area connection does not appear to have a valid IP configuration.

It all worked before, but is it possible my modem will need replacing? Did I somehow permanantly disable it from connecting to my PC? I still can't get access to my routers control page via my web browser.

Edited by Akimb0, 06 July 2011 - 11:05 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
If you have a firewall (Zone Alarm, Online Armor, Comodo, Norton, McAfee) it may be hosed up and stopping you from connecting to the router. Reset your network setup to obtain an IP address automatically, verify that the DHCP Client service is set to automatic and Started. (Right click on My Computer and select Manage then Services and Applications then Services. Find DHCP Client and right click. Make sure the Startup Type says Automatic and that it is Started. )

then try uninstalling any firewall software and reboot.

What router do you have? Is there a separate Cable or DSL modem? Was the router provided by your ISP?

Start, All Programs, Accessories then Right click on Command Prompt then Run As Administrator. Type:

ipconfig  >>  \junk.txt

net start  >>  \junk.txt

notepad  \junk.txt

Copy and Paste the text from notepad.

Ron