This is when I finally started trying to do something about the program, I ran scans for viruses, spyware, everything. While these things did clean out my computer a little bit, the problem persisted. I've done a good bit of googling and looking at topics where other people have had the same (or close enough) problem as I have. So, here's a list of stuff I've already done:
Restored my system to before the problem started.
Defragmented and cleaned up registry.
Selective startup and rebooting to see if it was a program causing the problem.
Made sure my graphics driver didn't need to be updated.
The only thing that's remotely worked is the start-up program thing. I found that if I disabled a few things, it would run on the normal resolution (1024x768 32-bit) and no error messages would come up for about...well, 30 minutes.
A peculiarity I've noticed with this whole ordeal is that when my screen is in the lower resolution setting, the computer will work for much longer. I would be willing to put up with a smaller screen if that's what it comes to, but the 16-bit quality is absolutely killing me. However, I'm lucky if I can readjust the settings. Usually it'll let me adjust the settings and when it goes to actually change the settings, the screen stays just the same. SOMETIMES - and I don't know exactly why - I can get it to go up to 800x600 or 1024x768(my usual resolution) in 32-bit quality. Currently, it has been running on the lower resolution, logged on to the "default profile" for a good hour or so.
So, after all this, my problems still went on. After more searching, I found a few things saying that Symantec could be causing the problem. So I tried disabling that. The computer actually came up in its normal resolution and allowed me to actually logon to my profile and everything. So I think that Symantec might be the issue here. But I can't update it because I don't have whatever information the website wants so I can go in and get a newer version (I've got SAV 9). So my first thought was to simply download some other program and uninstall SAV. Problem. While SAV is disabled, I can't access the internet at all. My computer will connect and say it has a connection and all that but when I open IE or Firefox, I get the "cannot display this page" error. So I'm afraid to uninstall it quite yet. Oh, and something I failed to mention before: I started getting an error about "Common Client User Session" (which is related to SAV somehow) needing to close. Whenever this comes up, I can't access the internet. I have to restart my computer and then it will work for a little while before it'll come up again, that is, if I'm not dealing with the other errors currently.
So here I am. The only thing I haven't done is check to see if my RAM is bad, but from what I've read and done I don't really think that's what's causing all this. My computer is pretty darn old, an Inspiron 1100. I'm going to be getting a new one in the next few months anyhow, but I would really like to be able to use this one for the time being without too much frustration. This is the first time I've had any problems out of it, other than it just being old and slower than most computers. I don't play any games on it, I use this laptop for e-mail, web-browsing and homework and that sort of thing.
I hope I've explained everything clearly. If you need anymore information, just let me know and I'll provide it. Thank you soooo much for your time. c: