Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0xc000012d error, insufficient resources at logon and more.

• Please log in to reply

bright32123

bright32123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently, I started getting all sorts of wonderful errors from my computer. I hadn't updated anything, installed a new program, etc. I randomly started receiving 0xc000012d errors. For a little bit, restarting helped, but eventually it just got to where the computer would work for a little while and then the error messages would come up again. If I tried to open task manager, then the error message would come and then nothing else on the computer would work (the error message would pop up for pretty much every program I tried to start). Then when I restarted, I would only have a 16-bit 640x480 resolution and receive an error message when I logged on about having "insufficient resources" and it would log me on to a default profile. Also, when I open a Word document it doesn't show any of the text.

This is when I finally started trying to do something about the program, I ran scans for viruses, spyware, everything. While these things did clean out my computer a little bit, the problem persisted. I've done a good bit of googling and looking at topics where other people have had the same (or close enough) problem as I have. So, here's a list of stuff I've already done:
Restored my system to before the problem started.
Ran chkdsk.
Defragmented and cleaned up registry.
Selective startup and rebooting to see if it was a program causing the problem.
Made sure my graphics driver didn't need to be updated.

The only thing that's remotely worked is the start-up program thing. I found that if I disabled a few things, it would run on the normal resolution (1024x768 32-bit) and no error messages would come up for about...well, 30 minutes.

A peculiarity I've noticed with this whole ordeal is that when my screen is in the lower resolution setting, the computer will work for much longer. I would be willing to put up with a smaller screen if that's what it comes to, but the 16-bit quality is absolutely killing me. However, I'm lucky if I can readjust the settings. Usually it'll let me adjust the settings and when it goes to actually change the settings, the screen stays just the same. SOMETIMES - and I don't know exactly why - I can get it to go up to 800x600 or 1024x768(my usual resolution) in 32-bit quality. Currently, it has been running on the lower resolution, logged on to the "default profile" for a good hour or so.

So, after all this, my problems still went on. After more searching, I found a few things saying that Symantec could be causing the problem. So I tried disabling that. The computer actually came up in its normal resolution and allowed me to actually logon to my profile and everything. So I think that Symantec might be the issue here. But I can't update it because I don't have whatever information the website wants so I can go in and get a newer version (I've got SAV 9). So my first thought was to simply download some other program and uninstall SAV. Problem. While SAV is disabled, I can't access the internet at all. My computer will connect and say it has a connection and all that but when I open IE or Firefox, I get the "cannot display this page" error. So I'm afraid to uninstall it quite yet. Oh, and something I failed to mention before: I started getting an error about "Common Client User Session" (which is related to SAV somehow) needing to close. Whenever this comes up, I can't access the internet. I have to restart my computer and then it will work for a little while before it'll come up again, that is, if I'm not dealing with the other errors currently.

So here I am. The only thing I haven't done is check to see if my RAM is bad, but from what I've read and done I don't really think that's what's causing all this. My computer is pretty darn old, an Inspiron 1100. I'm going to be getting a new one in the next few months anyhow, but I would really like to be able to use this one for the time being without too much frustration. This is the first time I've had any problems out of it, other than it just being old and slower than most computers. I don't play any games on it, I use this laptop for e-mail, web-browsing and homework and that sort of thing.

I hope I've explained everything clearly. If you need anymore information, just let me know and I'll provide it. Thank you soooo much for your time. c:

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hello .... Welcome to GeeksToGo,, We will be happy to help you. :) :unsure: :yes:

We will need some more information

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

You have a lot of issues going on. It could be multiple or all related to just 1. We will have to weed them out 1 at a time.
A google search brought up a manual Here

Memory. .standard: 128MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM; maximum: 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM; memory modules
available: 128MB or 256MB SODIMMs

I would say that is a major problem depending on what you have.

We do not know what OS you have, but XP now needs at least 1gb of ram.
Lets start with some cleaning and then look at some other things.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

After that we might look at memory.

bright32123

bright32123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've downloaded and run the programs you suggested.
Here's the information you asked for.
Make: Dell
Model: Inspiron 1100
Operating System: Windows XP
Age of the computer: I've had it for almost 4 years, though I'm certain it's older than that.
Memory Total: 256 MB
Hard Drive Size, How much free space: 18.6 GB, 3.15 GB free.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You have a few things going on that are creating your problem.

Symantecs is a memory hog. It uses a lot of resources. Disabling it proved that point.
Disabling the startup programs showed that you can also run better. Doing this gave you less programs starting and running in the background. It again freed up resources.
Lower screen resolution is also using less resources.

Find your uninstaller Here

Uninstall symantecs and install Avira or Avast or MS Essentials. We at Geeks to Go are now liking MS Essentials.
Read about what we recommend Here

Upgrade your memory.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

We can also look at what is in your msconfig startup and might be able to stop a few programs from starting. This will also help.

What has happened through the years is that the MS updates and virus updates and any other update are using more resources.