Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP psc 1317 printer not working

• Please log in to reply

nrobe

nrobe

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
hp psc 1317 is not working - keeps saying no ink.

I know that the tri colour is empty and this has never been a problem before - the black and white cartridge is a new refil.

can you help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi nrobe

the black and white cartridge is a new refil.

What type of refill HP, bargain store replacement or a DIY refill of the present cartridge?

nrobe

nrobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
No - it's a recycled ink cartridge - came from a company called ukinkcartridges.co.uk

I know that it has got some ink in it because I was able to print out a couple of documents intermittently.

Last August, I had to download HP Officejet and PSC Basic Software and Driver 2009-09-12 , Version:4.2.1, 36.89M. from hp

http://h10025.www1.h...n&cc=us&y=9&x=7

because the printer stopped working I think after I downloaded internet explorer 8.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
This can happen sometimes with recycled and even a printers own brand of cartridge, it can be caused by the memory chip on the cartridge reporting that the cartridge is empty, the recycler is supposed to reset the memory but that said if you read the small print it will often say that the ink levels may not register correctly if at all.
You may find the info @ http://www.inktec-uk...57_58_reset.htm of some help.

I know that it has got some ink in it because I was able to print out a couple of documents intermittently

One way to be sure ink is present is to remove the cartridge and blot it with a clean tissue.

Last August, I had to download HP Officejet and PSC Basic Software and Driver 2009-09-12 , Version:4.2.1, 36.89M. frorer 8.
because the printer stopped working I think after I downloaded internet explorer 8.

I had the same problem also with a HP printer but with a C4480 series and the way I sorted it was by fully uninstalling and then reinstalling the printer software.

nrobe

nrobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Problem solved.

I bought a new recycled tri colour cartridge. Removed and re-installed software (not sure that this was necessary) and now working.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thank you nrobe for letting us know that the issue was resolved and how it was achieved, your information may help others in the future :)
Cautionary note: Why do you think that printers are cheap but replacement ink cartridges are not :unsure:

nrobe

nrobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I don't know why some of the [printers are cheap but replacement ink cartridges are not ].

What i do know, is that they keep trying to put 4 cartridges in the printers instead of two.

Was this a rhetorical question.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Was this a rhetorical question.

Yes, meaning that the manufacturers are known to sell the printers for less than they could as they make a small
fortune from the exorbitant prices they charge for replacement cartridges, this is something that Kodak have gone a long way towards doing something about with their latest range.