Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Reinstalling Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply

kkc

kkc

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm trying to reinstall Windows xp but I keep getting the message that "This CD contains a backup of the software originally installed on an HP Pavilion PC and can only be used with an HP Pavilion PC. If you are receiving this message on an HP Pavilion, please call HP Support". I have a Hp pavilion desktop and had installed another hard drive in it. I had recently gotten a virus that didn't allow me to access windows and said "lsass.exe application error". During the restoring process (I have the setup disks) it told me to use FDisk and I partitioned the master hard disk. After that I shut off the computer and turned it back on with the restore disk inside it. As I tried to reinstall windows, it gave me the message above("This CD contains a backup...") How do I reinstall windows? Please reply and help! As this is a fairly old computer I rather not spend that much money on it. Thanks!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
[quote] I have a Hp pavilion desktop and had installed another hard drive in it [/quote]

The new hard drive is very likely the cause of the error message.
What is the model of HP Pavilion please and how have you partitioned

kkc

kkc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Hp Pavilion a1000y and I partitioned it by using FDisk to "Create Primary DOS Partition" with maximum space. Thanks for replying!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
After you create the partition you must format it.
See this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255867

kkc

kkc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, but how do you get to the command prompt? When I turn on my computer it loads and then goes to the HP recovery program and gives me the notice that "This CD contains a backup of the software originally installed on an HP Pavilion PC and can only be used with an HP Pavilion PC. If you are receiving this message on an HP Pavilion, please call HP Support." Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
How did you get to Fdisk in the first place.?

See this does it help
Recovering from recovery discs Use the following steps to recover the computer from a set of recovery discs (either CDs or DVDs):
  • Before recovering, back up files from the My Documents folder and from other folders you may have created.
  • Disconnect all connected devices (such as the Personal Media Drive, USB drives, printer, and fax), remove media from drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord.
  • Turn on the computer and press the Esc key when the first logo screen appears. Posted Image
  • Insert the first recovery disc into the top CD or DVD drive.
  • Use the Up Arrow and Down Arrow keys to select the CD or DVD drive containing the recovery disc, and press the Enter key to start.
  • If a screen displays Press R for recovery options , press the R key.
  • A screen with a list of options should appear: R, F, and Q. These options can change depending on the state of the hard drive. For example, F- as it will in your case. Select one of the following methods depending on the type of recovery method you want to perform:
  • Press R to perform a standard system recovery.
  • Press F to perform a destructive recovery. This will format the hard drive. If the hard drive is new or has had the recovery partition damaged, this option will also create new partitions and format the drive.
  • Press Q to quit recovery.
Posted Image Read and respond to each window and screen that appears.
NOTE: When changing discs, do not press the OK button. Instead, wait for the drive to read the disc and automatically continue the recovery.
NOTE: If you are using a supplemental recovery disc (select models only), you must remove the supplemental disc before restarting the computer.<li>After the System Recovery is complete, the computer restarts and continues into Windows setup. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.
NOTE: It may take a long time to complete Windows setup. This time varies and may take over several hours. Recovery times are most affected by using recovery discs that were ordered from HP and/or the amount of files that were stored in the user account folders (Like My Documents and the Desktop).<li>Before using your computer, update and protect your computer. For more information, refer to Things To Do After Performing a System Recovery in Windows XP .

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 July 2011 - 03:57 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above see this
The relevant details for your computer
http://h20000.www2.h...jectID=bph07145

kkc

kkc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I got into FDisk when I inserted the system recovery disk and it told me to use FDisk. Now when I insert the disk it takes me to the system recovery page with the notice that the disk is made for hp pavilions and with the "ok" button. When I press ok, it goes back to the loading screen where I can press esc to boot menu, f1 to setup... When I don't press anything it brings me back to the system recovery page with the message. When I press the escape key and choose my CD it just brings me to the system recovery page with the message again. Please help!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Are you starting at step 2 on my post 6 and following from there.
Disconnect all connected devices (such as the Personal Media Drive, USB drives, printer, and fax), remove media from drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power cord.

Please confirm that before we move to the next possible step.

I have a Hp pavilion desktop and had installed another hard drive in it. I

How did you install XP on the new hard drive please?

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 July 2011 - 02:41 PM.

kkc

kkc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I removed all of the usbs except for the extrs hard drive. As it was my sister who installed windows, I don't know how she did it and she forgot anyways. Also, I got to the command prompt but when I type in "format c:" or "extract ebd.cab format.com" and other commands like that to A:\>, it says "bad command or file name". How do I reformat it? Thanks

Advertisements

bretwt91

bretwt91

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Why You not tried another cd to reinstall the window.
My suggestion is that try another cd of window Xp and fill
the keys which you get from your HP Pavilion PC.

cmwcmw

cmwcmw

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same issue on both my dell d610 laptops. I only have the XP set up disc and not the recovery ones. I try to reinstall XP but it keeps freezing on both saying nvrd32. System corrupt and exits set up. I cannot download anything because I can't get online :0(. I can get into dos mode......I really need help! I need my computer for work ASAP!!! please and thank you

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Direct to: cmwcmw

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

kkc
I assume that you are booting off of a CD or floppy for the Fdisk and Format command. If not, then it won't work.
You can prepare the hard drive for a new OS by using the drive manufacturers cd. The manufacturer has software to format the drive.

"]Drive manufacturers

kkc

kkc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, I'm using the Windows system recovery discs to boot off of (there are 3). However, I don't have the drive manufacturers disc. How do I get one (I can't burn discs and I rather not spend much money on it)? Thanks

kkc

kkc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Please reply!!