Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

C Presario M2000 What is this Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply

carlyluv

carlyluv

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Greetings and thanks for perusing a description of an ebay purchase gone wrong

I was hoping to buy a replacement body and screen for this beast and put my
hard drive, memory, etc. in it. As it turns out they don't match and there are no
model numbers stickers or discernable id on the new one except for the basic m2000.
My original hard drive has a string of connectors wide as the unit itself whereas
the new computer has a connecting bar approximately 1" long. The memory chips are
slotted offset to mine and are a different width.
Any idea what the id of my new useless item is would help
c

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most likely the M2000 hard drive is a standard 44 pin 9.5mm high IDE 2.5 inch drive. The adapter between the HD and the laptop drive socket is just for the specific M2000 model laptop probably used for space reasons. You did not say what laptop you are trying to adapt the parts to. Heres a picture of a IDE laptop drive beside a newer SATA laptop drive.

Posted Image

Here's what a M2000 adapter looks like.

Posted Image

Older drives came in 2 heights, 9.5 mm and 12.5 mm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Adapter that plugged into the 44 pin laptop drive and then plugged into 40 pin desktop sockets where used by me to copy drive data off them.

Posted Image

Or you could have used a cable adapter to plug into a desktop cable.

Posted Image

The above is just for your information and most you do not need to use.

The memory in the M2000 was 200 pin SO-DIMM laptop memory with 333 bus speed. If your computer is much newer then the memory is not compatible with the laptop even if it did fit the slot. The laptop would just crash or not boot at all.

SRX660

carlyluv

carlyluv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Phew! Copious information appreciated- m2000's not on hand presently.
to be sure i had hoped to be buying an identical unit for simple parts transfer.
Yes my old one is the IDE on top right.
Will have to search further for mfg dates[i did notice 'Made in China' on several parts of new unit]
best
c