Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dotExe files cannot open after cleaning and reboot reinfection?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
no options just goes to the choice of windows xp or recovery console that combofix installed.

Advertisements

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ok I just made some headway however. I swapped out the standard external cdrom for a home contraption using an external ide hdd enclosure and an ide dvd rom and now it is booting from cd. I am at the windows setup now. should I do a repair install?

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok good news and bad news. first the good news is that I indeed got the pc to boot from dvd, and began repairs. HowEvEr half way through the installation of drivers after the input of lic. the machine suddenly no longger see's any usb. so now i'm stuck with a freaking brick

ok as an update. DVD drive suddenly died. would not work in a tower either. scavenged another from a pile of parts and restarted repair as a continuation of the setup did not see the drive but a boot from however did. **crossing fingers**

Edited by mohavepc, 12 July 2011 - 02:26 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
A definite Heath Robinson construction going on here :)

You are a bit further ahead than I anticipated we have a repair tutorial here

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for your help thus far Essex, I am quite familiar with windows repair and also the recovery console. I hadn't had any luck booting from cd or usb so I figured my only opiotns were to ask for help repairing or drop kick the mini :)
not sure who heath robinson is but I bet he's a lot like Rube Goldberg (goldburg?)
will let you know the status once the repair completes.

Thanks again.

ps. looked up Heath Robinson and I was right. Rube did a lot of the same stuff
http://www.rubegoldberg.com/

Edited by mohavepc, 12 July 2011 - 03:04 PM.

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well Essex your not going to believe this but....
after a repair install of windows
the exe issue still exists
I will back up data again and wipe the hdd

Thanks anyhow

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
For my curiosity when you were shutting down during this problem did windows hang for a period ?

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
No it didn't ....it hasnt had any issues shutting down or starting up,

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Question
Is it possible that there is a security issue with that particular reg key or with the reg itself that wont allow for a save?

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
new turn of events.
I believe there is still something infecting this machine.
I was backing up data to an external HDD when the pc began to slow. at this point I terminated explorer because it hung and restarted it. it still hasent reappeard (15min). I looked at running proc and see no issues there. I am wondering if there could be a rootkit of unknown type messing here?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you check the hard drive for errors either using chkdisc or if you could let me know the make of Hardrive I will find the manufacturers diagnostic tool

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I will run the chkdsk on it from the cd here in a few minutes and will try to get the HDD Man. This unut has to be fully dissaembled to pull the HDD.

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The ChkDsk showed no errors, problem persists, HDD is a Toshiba MK6028GAL 40GB
could not find a chk util for the Toshiba,

Edited by mohavepc, 13 July 2011 - 01:08 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Here you go - I feel you will need the DOS Diagnostic Tool Ver. 7.0 (For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives) running from a cd (unless you have a floppy drive)

mohavepc

mohavepc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
OK using either the dos ver from a bootable winxp cd or the win version in safe mode neither recognises the drive as testable. the drive shows up just cannot be selected to test. I may have to pull it and run it on a test machine.