Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big and annoying problem

• Please log in to reply

sirmikey

sirmikey

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have two computers both on Windows XP on a wired network. I'll just give you a story of events.. I re-installed Windows on both computers and set up a network. Everything was working fine and then I messed around with stuff (probably shouldn't have done) and the internet gateway in 'Network Connections' was no longer there, even though I still had access to the internet through the network. It was still working for about a month after that until I decided to go onto Xbox Live. For Xbox Live, I have to unplug the ethernet cable out of my client computer and plug it into my Xbox. So after I finished owning on Halo 2, I went to play on the internet on my client computer, plugged in the cable again but only to find out that I can't access the Internet. <-- and I don't understand why that happened at all..

I've been messing around with IPs, Network Wizard and all that today/yesterday and I still haven't had any luck. The Network Wizard on the host computer just has an error half way through and doesn't ever complete. And upstairs, on the client computer (and this is what bugs me the most) I can access the files on the host computer but I still can't access the internet. I've got all my IPs configured properly. Here are the addresses and such:

-----------
HOST
-----------
IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
-----------
CLIENT
-----------
IP: 192.168.0.2
Internet Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

If anyone can help me out here, it will be amazinly appreciated and I will love you forever. I know its kind of a long winded story but I felt maybe you needed to know more about the problem.

Thanks in advance,
- Mikey

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Did you try to open a command prompt by clicking Start, Run, and typing cmd. Once you have that open type ipconfig /renew remember to put a space between ipconfig and /renew. Try that after plugging your pc back into the network.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

sirmikey

sirmikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, I tried that but it didn't work. All I got was the error saying:

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation

Does this mean that there's something wrong with my hardware? It hasn't ever let me down before and I don't understand why, if it is the hardware, it would just stop working all of a sudden.

- Mikey

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Try going to Control Panel, System, click the Hardware tab. Now click the Device Manager button. Scroll down the list until you see Network Adapters expand it by clicking the + next to it. Now find your adapter and right click it. Click Uninstall. Now reboot the computer and when Windows loads it will say "Found New Hardware" and it will install it. Now open command prompt again and type ipconfig /release press enter and then type ipconfig /renew and press enter. Did that help?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

sirmikey

sirmikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've tried this on both the host and client computer.

When I typed 'ipconfig /release' in command prompt on the host computer it showed:

Ehternet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix:
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.138.91
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

When I typed 'ipconfig /renew' in command prompt on the host computer it showed the error:

Windows IP Configuration

An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

I also get this same error when typing 'ipconfig /renew' in command prompt on the client computer.

When I typed 'ipconfig /release' in command prompt on the client computer, it showed:

IP address have already been released (or something along those lines)

So in conclusion.. No, the network's still messed up. In fact, now I can't access files from either computer.

I have the IPs in Local Area Connection properties on both computers set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and the hardware is working fine but still, nothing is happening.

Please help! :tazz:
- Mikey

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

-----------
HOST
-----------
IP: 192.168.0.1
-----------
CLIENT
-----------
IP: 192.168.0.2
Internet Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

Ok, exactly how do you have this connected?
1. You have two computers, client connects to host, host connects to internet and shares it for the client. Giving you two NIC's on the host. Do you have IP Routing enabled on the host?

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
chek ip of both pcs and give them different ip i thin you did that

sirmikey

sirmikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Ok, exactly how do you have this connected?
1. You have two computers, client connects to host, host connects to internet and shares it for the client.  Giving you two NIC's on the host.  Do you have IP Routing enabled on the host?

View Post

Erm, I don't really know what that means. I assume I do/did because everything was working fine until i unplugged the cable. After messing about much with it, I have restored the IPs and such to the way they were and still, no luck.

How do I find out if I do, and if I don't how do I make it so that I do have it enabled?

Mohsin, I shall try that tomorrow, I can't run up and down the stairs now, its fairly late. Thanks anyway, you guys. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Basically, Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) enables this for you, but since you played around in the settings (first post) you may have accidentally turned it off. If you have two NIC's, two Network cards on the Host computer, then you are able to plug two ethernet cables into the back of that one computer. One coming from the modem, and one going to the other machine (should be a crossover cable). On the host machine, go to the Network Connections window, and right click on the connection that is coming from the internet. Go to the Advanced tab at the top of the page, and enable Internet Connection Sharing.

See if that is still checked.

Hope this helps.

Greazy Mcgeezy

sirmikey

sirmikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Greazy, you're right, that is what was up with it. The only problem was something has broken and I couldn't see the advanced options. It said do System Restore but that has never worked for me before so I couldn't be bothered trying. Instead I just re-installed Windows and its all sorted now.

Thanks to everyone who helped me!
- Mikey

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

Instead I just re-installed Windows and its all sorted now.

Wow! That's you definitely have some huge ambition to get this working. Very nice ;) I'm glad you got it all sorted out :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)