Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Formatting an External Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm trying to format by external harddrive to FAT32 so I can backup the data on my PS3 while I swap out its internal Harddrive.

I currently own a 2TB Seagate External Harddrive, but it already has a lot of content on it I'd prefer not to lose.

If I format the external to FAT32 will I lose everything on it?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

If I format the external to FAT32 will I lose everything on it?

First of all yes if you format the drive everything on it will be gone.

Second I suspect the reason you are having trouble formatting with FAT32 is because of it's size limitation which is 132 gigs I believe.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
If there is enough space available, you can resize the partition using various tools, such as qtparted under Knoppix (LiveCD), then with the free space create a new partition and format that as FAT32, BUT if you do that, then you need to backup all the data, just in case something goes wrong.

It might just be easier to take out the disk in the PS3, since you are going to replace it anyhow, and get an external case for it (which could be used for other disks as well if you want a larger external disk) to transfer the data back.