Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc customisation

• Please log in to reply

hess89

hess89

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Putting my Pc together on Build Your box and ive got to the psu section and there is two 600 watt psus but one is more expensive sayng its modular what does that even mean?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hihess89. :)

Info, > http://en.wikipedia....wer_supply_unit

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't like modulars myself. They have only two advantages from my viewpoint and that is the extra cables are not in the way of good air flow, and they make the interior of the case look tidy.

Well, a tidy interior is nice, but who cares? Proper front-to-back air flow is critical, but that's where doing your homework on your case is important because a good case will have good cable management options to route and hide the extra cables out of the way - often behind the motherboard - and out of sight too.

From a technician's viewpoint, the disadvantages are plenty. As noted, any connection adds resistance. Connectors can come loose, get damaged, or (even from the best makers) have manufacturing defects.

But also, open exposed connections (where the cables are not use) expose the PSU's, and the cable connector contacts to dirt, dust, skin oils and other contaminants that have the potential to degrade the continuity through the connection.

There is no industry standard for the connectors used on the PSU side of these modular cables. That means if you have multiple computers and several modular PSUs, you have to keep track of which cables go with which PSU.

Finally, where are you going to store the unused cables for the next 6 or 7 YEARS, or even longer? Toss them a drawer where the contacts can collect dust, or get damaged? What if you lose track of the extra cables and need to add more hardware?

So where's the best place for the unused cables? In a sealed zip-lock bag, stuffed in the bottom of the case - which hardly looks tidy.

Oh, and modulars cost more but provide ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in terms of performance or better power for your computer.