Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing Background - Display Icon Missing Tabs

• Please log in to reply

mickneedshelp

mickneedshelp

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello:

I just removed a bunch of spyware from my system and all looks well on that front. I have no problem loading sites and they run at normal (pre spyware) speeds. My desktop background however is still flashing a white/light yellow/grey color. A right click on the desktop \ properties shows "file://C:\WINDOWS\desktop.html" under the address.

I then went to Start \ Control Panel \ Display to see if I could change the background there but I only have two tabs behind the icon. One is Screen Saver and the other is Settings. I thought I remembered their being more than two tabs but that's all that's there now. Also, I tried to right click on some background/wallpaper images on the web and selected "set as background" but they didn't take. Any suggestions?

Thanks, as always, in advance,

Mick

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808

If you suspect that malwares haven't been eliminated totally, I need you to read and follow the instructions HERE.

Perform this fixes:
1. Open Ad-Aware and scan
2. Open CWShredder and scan
3. Open Spybot S&D and check for problems
4. Open CleanUp then click CleanUp

Then we'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log as a new topic in the HijackThis Forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Edited by kool808, 30 May 2005 - 08:23 PM.

mickneedshelp

mickneedshelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi kool808:

I ran all these fixes and they came up clean. On the re-boot out of CleanUp I could see my desired background quickly on the way to "shut down". Here's my HJT logfile, I will also post it in the section you requested. Thanks for your help and let me know if you have any ideas here.

Mick

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:37:10 PM, on 5/30/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\kbdtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Removal Devices\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ebay.com/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LDM] C:\Program Files\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LogitechDesktopMessenger.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NkvMon.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe
O16 - DPF: ppctlcab - http://ppupdates.ca....er/ppctlcab.cab
O16 - DPF: {2FC9A21E-2069-4E47-8235-36318989DB13} (PPSDKActiveXScanner.MainScreen) - http://ppupdates.ca....r/axscanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg...l_v1-0-3-24.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Ok. Please post this at HijackThis Forum.

Inform them that you had already done Ad-aware, Spybot, CWShredder, and CleanUp. Give them details regarding the scan results.

Also get Win XP SP2 here. Without this update, you're wide open to re-infection, and will waste your time.

Edited by kool808, 30 May 2005 - 08:53 PM.

mickneedshelp

mickneedshelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Kool:

As per your PM, this started with some sort of spyware (I believe smitfraud and/or www.updatesearches.com). My desktop had the "!" inside a yellow triangle with the "your infected...blah...blah" and the background went to a solid black color. I seem to have removed all of the spyware but when I did the backgroud changed to a lighly flashing white/yellow/gray. All seems to work but it's ugly to look at.

I just have one user name on my computer and administrator. I believe I have been/was logged in under my user name for all repairs, etc.

I made an addition to my first post in the HJT section. I now have the standard tabs but my background still won't take. I can only see it for a moment right before the system shuts down or restarts.

Mick

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
ok, so you had your tabs back to normal again? When you right click the desktop then properties what options can you see?

Lets try this:
  • Right-click desktop, then Properties
  • Under Desktop Tabs, click Customize Desktop
  • Under the Web Tab, can you tell me if the My Current Home Page box is checked or unchecked?

mickneedshelp

mickneedshelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The right click on the desktop still gives me just the general tab. I need to go through start \ control panel \ display to get them. Someone else just sent me a PM telling me to go to the desktop tab and then hit the customize desktop button which I can do. However, he said to go to the "web" tab of the new window (sounds like the same thing you are getting at) and uncheck a couple of boxes. The problem is that the new window that opens only has a general tab and nothing for web. He asked me if I was logged in as the administrator (which I was not). I tried logging in as administrator in safe mode (remembered seeing this as an option when I was cleaning up my system) but it prompted me for a password of which I have no idea. I don't recall ever creating one and after trying a few ones I tend to use it would not let me in. Ideas?

Mick

mickneedshelp

mickneedshelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Greazy/Kool:

I fixed it!!! I ran regedit and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies again and realized that I didn't remove the bogus things under explorer. When I did this, reboot, I could pull the web tab. I followed your instructions and it worked. Thanks again for all of your help!!

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
We are glad we had helped! :tazz:

To prevent future re-infections please read this tips. PREVENTION TIPS

Adio

Adio

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi, i had this problem and followed what to do. So i go into my regedit and to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies, and deleted the bogus things under explorer and system and this is what i am left with so far...
Posted Image
and then system...
Posted Image
and then do im finally left with my tabs but i cant highlight anthing or choose a bg for my desktop...
Posted Image
please can you help?

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to geekstogo!

Please start your own thread by creating a new topic.

What is your OS, Win XP or Win 98?
Review this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

Adio

Adio

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
My OS is XP

Ive have looked there: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
and deleted some DWORD's that could have to do with the problem but it is still the same
any suggestions?

redmx

redmx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, Im having some problem with my desk top. some how all my icons on the desk top have gone missing and i cant even do any clicks.

and i have no idear how to fix this so plase help me.. i have done a asaware scan and a vrius scan.. and nothing has shown up i have got a screen shot of it please help me!! ;)

My desk stop
Posted Image

Please help me!!..

[email protected]

thanks much!.. :tazz:

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
redmx,

Please create a new thread by making a NEW TOPIC.

========================================

Please read THIS first before posting.

We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool HiJackThis, read the short tutorial HERE

Post a log as a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.