Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

APU opinions

• Please log in to reply

kate0558

kate0558

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Stumbled upon Amd's newish APU .. Looks good and tempting considering you get the good graphics and the cpu for the price of just the cpu....

http://promotions.ne...834/696x288.jpg

thoughts?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
Hi kate0558
Having not seen the performance of the processor first hand I can`t really comment but what I did notice is the ad claims that the graphics are improved by 40% when combined with a HD6000 range add on card, meaning that you will need to spend more cash in any event, also what particular games is it capable of playing and at what settings!
Other negatives for me are 1: Without an independent GFX card or chip the CPU will be under more stress and 2: If the CPU ever has issues you may not have a display to be able to try and correct the problem.
One review that I have read said;

The good: The new AMD A8-3850 desktop chip offers strong budget gaming and multicore performance at a reasonable price.

The bad: AMD's new chip doesn't outperform its Intel equivalent on many standard programs.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet....l#ixzz1RRYXVGPO

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I think, like Intel's offering, it will be a great alternative for users who need a computer for email, Internet use, and personal business. Hard core gamers, designers and graphics editors will still need a card. I suspect it will be a perfect fit in Home Theater PCs.

Note that AMD calls this the world's first "APU". Well, that's because they made up the name, APU - in other words, marketing "fluff".

That said, NO DOUBT, it is a good processor and will serve many well.