Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

all my folders gone

• Please log in to reply

sgome31

sgome31

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I was using my computer the other night when a message popped up on my screen that said something about a problem with the hard drive. it was not on the screen long enough for me to read the entire message. right after my computer restarted by itself and when it came back on all of my icons on my desktop were gone. all of my pictures and files no longer show up. if I go to a program like office, and open most recent documents they come up and I can edit them and stuff but don't see them on my folders. also when I check my hard drive for amount of storage used, it shows that I still have 60gb of storage used. i also try to go back to a restore point, but no restore point available anymore.what is going on and can it be fixed?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First of all lets see if your files are still intact by using a Linux live cd to access the drive. Please do the following and if needed you can backup your files using these instructions.

Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data:

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're doing this to recovery from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thnak you i will try it and see if it works.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and I will await your results. :)

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I was only able to het music back. I can go into my programss and open recent documents and open some of them that way. but other than that I can't see anything else. what should I do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What else do you need to save?

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
well I had a folder that had a lot of logos that I have created on Adobe software.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to search for it using one of the file names?
It most likely would be inside the adobe program what ever that is.

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yea when ever I go to my start menu and search it it moment find anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this in Linux or Windows?
You should only have to open the file manager and go to the adobe folder. Then search through there for anything you have saved as that would be the default saved location.

Advertisements

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am running Windows Vista and I actually looked in both the folder that I created and in the Adobe software folder. but it just says that there are no files in any of the folders.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm that is strange. Any chance you may have deleted the files accidentally?

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
no because like I said it was all gone after my compiyer restarted and I didn't touch them before that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Strange it sounds like we may have a hd issue then because if the hd has a bad section that information may have been installed on it. Lets check it to make sure.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok so everything came back good on my hdd. I was able to get all my documents to show. for some reason everything was set to hidden documents. what could have caused that?