Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 admin rights issue

• Please log in to reply

blake79

blake79

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I am experiencing weird issues with my Windows 7 64bit Pro installation.
Some, but not all, programs won’t start, giving me a “The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000022 click ok to close the application” error. It seems that 0xc0000022 is linked to some kind of access denied issue.
My Avira antivirus is running (as I can see from the system log) but the UI won’t open for the same error above. Windows defender is up and running, and reports my system as clear. I’ve also run some system recovery disks (eg AVG) and they also report my system as clear from viruses. MBR has been checked as well.
When I start Chrome or Internet Explorer, they flick into view for less than a second, then disappear without any error or message.
When I try to install or uninstall software, eg Avira, I get all kind of access denied errors. Uninstalling gives me the following error “You do not have sufficient access to uninstall...”.
I tried all of the above with a standard account with admin privileges. I’ve also enabled the hidden Administrator account (net user administrator /active:yes) and I still get the same errors even logging in with that account.
I really run out of options now! Please please help, I don’t want to format my PC...

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I would start with a system file check.
Follow the procedure on this link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above and not becuase I think it is the cause but running Avira AND Windows Defender is NOT a good idea.

RE: Avira 10 and Windows Defender

Posted Image
Is there any notable conflicts between Avira AntiVir Personal 10 and Windows Defender? I am just making sure because I want to complement Avira with Windows Defender.

Hi,
I strongly recommend you NOT to do it. We had many issues with software. Nicolae Moldoveanu
Avira GmbH

blake79

blake79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Defender was installed automatically by Windows update, it doesn't seem to have particular conflicts with Avira at the moment (the issue I detailed occurred before Defender was installed) but the problem is, I can't uninstall Avira because of the access rights issue.
System check didn't report any problem. Also tried taking ownership of file in C:\Windows with takeown command, but that didn't help either...

blake79

blake79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
One more thing: I can use Firefox to download files. When I right-click a downloaded item and select "Open containing folder" I get a "C:\Users\xxx\Downloads Class not registered" error. If I open the same folder wih My Computer or from the run box then I can navigate to that folder without any issues.

Edited by blake79, 10 July 2011 - 11:06 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
  • If you open the Windows Task Manager and select the Services tab, you'll notice WinDefend is running. This is Windows Defender. There are a couple ways to disable it, but the one I outline will show you how to re-enable it should you need/want to.Posted Image
    click to enlarge
  • Click the "Start Orb" and type in defender into the text box. Select Windows Defender from the items that appear in the window above.Posted Image
  • Select Tools from the main Windows Defender screen.Posted Image
    click to enlarge
  • Select Options from the Settings section.Posted Image
    click to enlarge
  • From the left navigation pane, select Administrator.Posted Image
    click to enlarge
  • Now remove the check mark from the box labeled Use this program. Click the Save button in the bottom right corner.Posted Image
    click to enlarge
  • Click Yes when prompted to make the change.Posted Image
    click to enlarge
  • And now Windows Defender is turned off. You can use the "click here to turn it on" link if you want to re-enable it (just launch Windows Defender the same way you did in step #2 above).Posted Image
  • Now if you check the Services section of the Task Manager you'll see that Windows Defender has been stopped.Posted Image
    click to enlarge
  • That's it – you're done!
Having disabled Defender, so that we can definitely eliminate the possible clash between Avira and that please do this
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application POST one result for this please.
    • System POST a second set for this please.
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error SELECT ONLY THIS PLEASE
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20) in your case enter 15
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) in your case the date approx five days ago
    In the To: boxes type today's date
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 July 2011 - 12:12 PM.

blake79

blake79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, thanks for your instructions. Tried to follow them but VEW doesn't work, gives me an error when I press run, screenshot attached

Attached Thumbnails

• Error.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Are the time and date shown as correct - clock on taskbar.
Additionally your screenshot shows MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS installed and if that was before running in Real Time Protection it would most certainly clash with Avira.
This would result in all sorts of problems and a lesser degree of protection, as it is more than likely that the two programs would negate each other.

blake79

blake79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, yes time and date are correct - ran it yesterday, GMT time.
Microsoft Security Essentials real time protection was stopped, as shown in the screenshot. Anyways, I installed MSE only after I started having the access denied errors, as I wasn't able to display the Avira GUI and I needed to check for viruses. I've now uninstalled MSE but I still get the same errors as described in my previous posts.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am beginning to suspect that you have file corruption.
I think that the problem with IE and Chrome is indicative of this.
To be certain lets eliminate a problem with add-ons
Follow the steps below to run Internet Explorer with all add-ons temporarily disabled. Add-ons will be disabled only until you restart Internet Explorer normally. To disable add-ons permanently, follow the steps in the section above.

To temporarily disable all add-ons
  • Click the Start button Posted Image, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Advertisements

blake79

blake79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, tried the above but same behaviour, IE window flicks into existence and then disappears half a second later.
Also still getting loads of Access Denied errors with most apps, but not all. Looks like there's some core library the access to which is somehow forbidden, which makes any application using that library crash :\ System logs are useless though, I kept monitoring them for the last week and couldn't spot anything unusual.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
How long has this problem persisted it may I think be time to try a system restore.
Please remember that everything installed or anything changed since the point you select will be lost.

To use System Restore
Before you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your PC.

• Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Posted Image. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Posted Image If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

For more information, see System Restore: frequently asked questions.

Posted Image

blake79

blake79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, that's the first thing I tried after the issues first appeared, but all my restore points had disappeared after the latest Win7 automatic Windows update, so that's not an option..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for reply.
To save your time and mine please list ALL that has been tried.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above and whilst waiting for your answer to that check that system restore has not been turned off -

How to Enable or Disable Windows 7 System Restore

Posted Image Information This will show you how to enable or disable System Restore for all users in Windows 7.

System Restore is enabled by default in Windows 7. If this is disabled, System Restore is turned off, and the System Restore Wizard cannot be accessed. The option to configure System Restore or create a restore point through System Protection is also disabled and grayed out.

EXAMPLE:
System Restore Enabled and Disabled
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 July 2011 - 11:22 AM.