Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio Driver problems. Reinstalled windows, driver backup failed.

• Please log in to reply

Coxor

Coxor

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I used a program to try and backup my drivers, did a clean wipe/install of windows xp and tried to use same program to reinstall my drivers and I have not had any luck getting my audio driver to work. Been very frustrated not having any sound for i use sound for work i should be using my computer for. Please help help, i am running windows xp i am unsure of what other information you may need let me know as soon as possible and i appreciate your help in advance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Desktop or Laptop
Name brand or custom built
If name brand what make and model
If custom built what is the make and model of the motherboard

Coxor

Coxor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Desktop
Dell Dimension 4550

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All orignal drivers for your system are located HERE on Dells driver page for your system.
Expand the Audio entry and you will find the driver and a patch. Forget the patch you only need the driver.

Coxor

Coxor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
oh i forgot i think i may have replaced the audio card to something else since owning this pc, does that matter?

Coxor

Coxor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
am i required to reboot before doing the install from C:\Dell\Drivers\R56339\README.HTM ? because it said driver not found when trying. Ill try n rebooting and giving it another shot

Coxor

Coxor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
also jhust noticed this. I went to my sounds and audio device properties for my pc and under the tabs it actually says no device found, is that stating that it is actually not even reading my audio card?

Coxor

Coxor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
maybe i might have knocked a cord lose or somethin but i honestly have a clue on how they are to be wired,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are your speakers plugged in to a sound card in a slot or is it plugged into the onboard sound?

Coxor

Coxor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i pluggewd thgem into the sound card spot, i dont know of any onboard location

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to your post 5 you stated you replaced the sound card so that would mean it is a add on card.

Coxor

Coxor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
correct, am i required to download different drivers, or also what has been said bout device not found mean it not being read all otgether?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes since you have a add on card then the drivers will be different then the one I linked to.
Do you remember which card you installed or can you open the case and see if you find the make and model of the card printed on it some where?
If not we can try it this way.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards

Coxor

Coxor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
thank you i must be getting to sleep now for i have work in the morning, i shall check the card after work i hope this is ok and I will still get a response when i get back to my home PC, thank you for your help once again goodnight.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and I will look for your reply in the morning. :)