Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error 1058

• Please log in to reply

candygyrl79

candygyrl79

• Pip
  • 0 posts
I'm getting error 1058 when trying to do automatic update. I have tried several times to change the services for the Automatic Updates to Automatic, but it keeps switching back to Disable. I have also ensured that the BITS is Started. I have ran the MSRT, still my computer is unable to perform the updates from Windows. HELP! What do I do next?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi candygyrl179,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :)

We have moved your thread here assuming that you have XP SP3 as stated in your profile.

I have tried several times to change the services for the Automatic Updates to Automatic

In which manner did you try this? Manually by accessing Services, Automatic Updates Properties (Local Computer) or by Command Prompt?

Assuming you tried with Command Prompt try this please:

Go to Start > Run > type services.msc > click OK > look for Automatic Updates in the list, left click to highlight > click Restart at upper left

If that doesn't enable the wuauserv try the following:

Follow path above as is but this time right click to highlight Automatic Updates > choose Properties from the list > click on drop down arrow to right of Startup type: > choose Automatic > click Start under Service Status > click Apply > click OK

Let us know if that enables the service.

Donna

Edited by DonnaB, 08 July 2011 - 12:35 AM.

JeffLosten

JeffLosten

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
i also faced this problem many times but i fixed it, i also got some help from this website error 1058 , hope someone might get help from this article.
When you try to start a service (say, Windows Update) on your computer, you may receive error 1058. A description will also appear which is shown below: Error 1058: "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."
Reregister Windows Update Files
Uninstall Recent Updates
Repair Windows Registry
Verify that the Service is Not Disabled
Verify Essential Services are Already Started
Scan System Files