Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First build since P III = HELP :)

• Please log in to reply

DBCrutch

DBCrutch

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone, let's see, I'm trying to put together a computer together for some mid-end gaming. I would like it to run some higher end games, with lower video settings. I don't want to spend a ton of money, I was looking at a 900 or dollar so budget. I believe I got the compatibility right for everything, and maybe left some room for future upgrades? The last time I put a computer together, it was a P III, needless to say I am way behind on components, etc. My main questions are is it going to function how I'd like? Is everything actually compatible? Are the components I picked quality? I've been out of touch so long I just don't know anymore. Also you'll see I haven't picked a hard drive yet. I have a WD Caviar Black 3.5" 500gig that my dad bought and didn't use so I'm probably going to go with that, though I was toying with some kind of solid state upgrade later. I don't know, that stuff is psycho expensive. I would like the whole thing from mobo up to be upgradeable in the future, thus the mobo with 2 PCI x16 and Crossfire, even though just one video card. And finally, here is my list of parts;

MOBO - ASUS M4A89TD AMD - 154.99
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz - 129.99
Video - XFX HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB - 256.99
RAM - CORSAIR XMS 8GB DDR3 1600 (2x4GB sticks) - 59.99
PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular Power Supply - 74.99
WLAN - Rosewill RNX-N300 Wireless N Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n - 24.99
OS - Windows 7 Home 64bit - 99.99

Total 801.93

Any thoughts, tips, and inputs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Crutch

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi
DBCrutch :)

My main questions are is it going to function how I'd like? Is everything actually compatible? Are the components I picked quality?

Yes, yes and yes. Would be a great gaming machine for the money.

I would like the whole thing from mobo up to be upgradeable in the future,

The Socket AM3 on that Mobo is likely to have a limited upgrade path in the near future.

Consider changing to a Socket AM3+ Mobo like one of the following, this will give you access to the AMD Bulldozer CPUs due out soon.

> http://www.newegg.co...8^13-157-248-TS

thus the mobo with 2 PCI x16 and Crossfire, even though just one video card.

Your selected video card requires 500w PSU with 2 PCI-E connectors " 75w
If you really do think you may install a second card, you will need a beefier PSU with 4 PCI-E connectors.

I did no see a case listed.

DBCrutch

DBCrutch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ah, Ok, I see the difference in the mobos. That is why I asked for help. I'll definitely go with that one. With a future upgrade to 2x video cards, what should I look at upgrading my PSU output to? The PSU and the case is what is really throwing me for a loop. I haven't picked a case yet just because I wanted to make sure I got everything right, and then maybe get some input on that issue. I know it'll be important for cooling and all that but I really don't want anything crazy and there are about 3 million different cases out there.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

, what should I look at upgrading my PSU output to?

Any one of these will do the job and give some headroom for future upgrade of addition parts. Different features on each one.

> http://www.newegg.co...1^17-371-051-TS

All of these cases are really good. Antec is my favourite. What ever case you eventually decide on, make sure it has washable filters.

> http://www.newegg.co...5^11-119-225-TS

DBCrutch

DBCrutch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
iammykl, Hey, thanks for the help! I'll go with the mobo suggested and go ahead and upgrade the PSU. I'll have to settle on a case as well, but hopefully in a couple of weeks she'll be up and running! Again, thanks for the help.

Crutch

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome.

TIPS.

Remember to take anti static measures even when handling parts not connected to the PC.

Register your hardware and chase up any rebates straight away.

Keep ALL the packaging in a safe place for at least a year.

Please let us know how the build goes and how it performs.

Good luck.