Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netbook but only Windows 7 Ultimate available

• Please log in to reply

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
We just got a small netbook with Widows XP, but all the computer at my house are running Windows 7. I will install windows 7 Ultimate on it however I don’t know what option or features would be best to remove from it or how to so that it may run good with its limited processing power.

Advertisements

Zapurdead

Zapurdead

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I don't know if it makes a difference as to which Windows 7 you are running, but here are the system requirements from Microsoft for running Windows 7. Your biggest concern would probably be that your XP netbook doesn't have the hardware to support Windows 7.

Now you could go and look all this up manually, but I just found out Microsoft has a nifty tool you can download to see if your computer can handle the upgrade to Windows 7. Give it a spin and see how your netbook does.
http://windows.micro...upgrade-advisor

Finally, as to your questions about what is different about Ultimate, the list is here:
http://windows.micro...roducts/compare
If there is something on Windows Ultimate that you don't need, you could probably ignore it, you don't have to uninstall it or anything. I am curious though, what do you mean by only "Windows 7 Ultimate available"? You can buy Windows online and download it, that includes the home edition.

Edited by Zapurdead, 08 July 2011 - 07:35 PM.

iAmXquisite

iAmXquisite

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Well I don't know if it makes a difference as to which Windows 7 you are running, but here are the system requirements from Microsoft for running Windows 7. Your biggest concern would probably be that your XP netbook doesn't have the hardware to support Windows 7.

It's true what he said.
Your biggest problem might be that your net-book doesn't have hardware needed for windows 7. There might not be driver updates for Windows 7 you can check the manufacturer's site to see if they have drivers for Windows 7 or you can also Google to see if anyone has successfully installed windows 7 on the same notebook you have.

If you wan't put the model of your computer here and I will try to do some research for you.

Edited by iAmXquisite, 08 July 2011 - 07:44 PM.