Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP installs to ide but not scsi?

• Please log in to reply

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi,
I have been trying to conquer this problem at various times for over a year now. :)

I have a HP XW8000 workstation of which I am trying to make the scsi drive the master C: drive.
As it stands I have the ide drive as master and the scsi operating on its own controller as E: for storage etc.

I would like to, and have been trying for ages to fresh install xp sp2 on to the scsi to make it the master.
Time and time again the install freezes at the dreaded 34 min drivers install and will not whatever I do get past it.

I can fresh install to the ide drive with no problem.
I press the f6 button to install the scsi drivers from the hp site, I have updated my bios and I also have flashed the scsi drive with latest firmware etc but to no avail.
The drive has absolutely no probs running as a secondary disk and is always recognised in the bios.

I have used seatools for dos and for some reason it doesn't pick up the scsi, even if I take the ide out, but the disk appears to be functioning correctly anyway, seems to accept full format etc.
I have onboard scsi controller set to ID7 and the disk to ID0.

I have also tried to disable in the bios all uneccessary devices at fresh install.

What could possibly be the problem, I wish i had another scsi drive to try an install on so I could confirm if it is a disk problem or more than likely my lack of understanding the settings.

Has anybody any ideas on this please.
The drive in question is a seagate ultra 320 ST336607lw.

Tom.

Advertisements