Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old gateway wont start

• Please log in to reply

rdeavers

rdeavers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A friend of mine has an old Gateway running Windows98SE. They dont know what they did(typical) but now when you start the computer, it displays a black screen and says "enter CURRENT password". it wont start windows or even let me enter the setup. i cant change the bios either. how can i reset this or is there some other way to get around it? Thank you for your help?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you're just running Win 98SE and the Password window pops up, normally you can just bypass this by clicking cancel and windows should load ok. If you've set up users, then you'll just get default settings without logging in as a specific user.

As to getting into BIOS, are you entering BIOS by pressing the key it says at the right time? If someone has password protected the BIOS, then you need to get them to access the BIOS. If it's been forgotten, then pull the CMOS battery inside PC for a few minutes. Reinstall battery and try again. Don't forget to properly shutdown if possible and shutoff power to PC before working inside of case.

Ron

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Haha, well, my laptop is a gateway givin me by my aunt and uncle, well... i installed windows 98 into it, and for one dumb reason or another iwasplayin with

all sorts of passwords, and this happens to be one of the ones i added, basicly with mine it would start up, in bios it would stop, and go black, and demand a hd

password, each time i got 3 chances before it went off and ignored the hd all together, i spent nearly a year near the breakin point tryin to remember the

password or get around it... i ruined one hd bridge, the battery system... ordered new ram an a new bridge, got close to a new hd.. finally i got the password right

on one strange day, since then ive been unable to get rid of the password and it still plagues the computer, but i can at least enter it now and use it. The password

is case sensitive, remember the password or try the likely and unlikely possibilities it could be... u could always try Gateway for support to.... i didnt but

eh... Good luck, God be with You.
Peace be with all of You