Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing the correct RAM for my build... OCing?

• Please log in to reply

kate0558

kate0558

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Not sure what RAM i should be getting...

MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

Mobo description on Newegg site says: "DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600 (OC)/1800 (OC)/2000 (OC)"

But if i go to MSI website it says: "DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600*(OC)"
http://us.msi.com/in...od_no=1984#menu

I've never OC'd before so idk if i'd be doing that by putting in DDR3 1600... newegg doesn't seem to think so but msi does...

I'd like to get the most out of my ram without going into complications of OCing although it seems the mobo has good options for it...
so maybe i could?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have not been a fan OCing since it is pushing the component to work harder which makes it run hotter and shortens the life of the component.
I would suggest going with the 1333 version. How much ram are you considering and what OS are you going to be using?

kate0558

kate0558

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Im salvaging some parts from my old PC (which is only a few years old but is overheating) but I am replacing all the Core components...

So I am keeping my current HD (640GB) with all the bells and whistles on it... Running Windows 7.

I was gonna put in 8 GB (two 4gb chips).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So I am keeping my current HD (640GB) with all the bells and whistles on it... Running Windows 7

Sorry for such a late response but I have been swamped.
That Win7 is the 64 bit OS I hope?
Also by bells and whistles what are you referring to?
Replacing the mobo, cpu and memory will cause you to have to reinstall your OS most likely.

kate0558

kate0558

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I thought the Operating system and all my programs and files was just contained on the hard drive.
So if I replace my Motherboard,cpu, and ram... I can't keep my hard drive?

I mean if i'm running 64bit Win7 already... I cant just hook up the new parts with my current hard drive? Why not?

Please help! Now i'm confused! Thats a major added cost i was not expecting!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the OS a OEM or Retail installation?
It does make a difference on the legality of what you want to do.
Are the components you are keeping especially the hard drive out of a name brand system or was it a custom built system?

kate0558

kate0558

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry for duplicating...

And its from a gateway pc I purchased about a year ago. It came with vista installed and then the free upgrade to windows 7. So i did the update. I still have that CD but I'm pretty sure it was a one time thing with the serial number or w/e it is on the original purchased pc. It was like a gateway specific windows 7 cd im pretty sure. I'll have to look when i get home. So idk if that helps

And i don't care if its legal... so long as no one finds out :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is where your problem is. The hd has gateway drivers installed which may not even allow the new system to boot since no drivers for the new motherboard and CPU will be installed. This would include the chipset, video, sound and lan.
The other issue is since the original OS was preinstalled and then upgraded the reg key is what we call married to the original hardware like the motherboard and CPU. Changing that would require a new installation to be done and the Gateway installation disks will not work for the reasons I mentioned above.

And i don't care if its legal... so long as no one finds out

I'm sorry to hear this as this not only will eventually cause problems with updating the system files, is against Microsoft's Eula it is also strictly against GTG Terms of USE. We cannot assist you any further since you have expressed the desire to use a illegal installation of the OS. This topic is closed till a Global Mod or Admin can talk to you or reopen the topic.

We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to copied, pirated, or in any other way stolen programs. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter.

If you have any questions about the TOU please contact a Moderator or Admin for clarification.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Received via pm:

Sent 8 minutes ago
I misread your post.. i thought you were asking if i cared.
I may not care but i definitely wouldn't
PURPOSELY do something that i know is illegal!!! I would appreciate you not assume i'm some kind of criminal!

I don't even know how to pirate anything let alone an operating system.
Actually I didn't even know that was possible!!
But if its considered illegal to use my OS on a different mobo then your right I wouldn't mind doing it, only because simply re-using my same hd that i paid for with a separate mobo that i also paid for, there is NOTHING wrong with that.
The very fact that its not legal is absolutely rediculous.

You are obviously not a friendly person and I do not appreciate the attitude I am getting on this forum. I'll be finding a new forum to participate in.

But if its considered illegal to use my OS on a different mobo then your right I wouldn't mind doing it, only because simply re-using my same hd that i paid for with a separate mobo that i also paid for, there is NOTHING wrong with that.
The very fact that its not legal is absolutely rediculous.

Using the hard drive is not the issue at all but the installed OS already on that hard drive. To make it legal you would have to format the drive and install a new Win7 on the drive. I'm sorry you find what I have stated as inappropriate or rude but I simply reply to what you stated.
Though a added cost you would have a legal OS and be able to install and update without any problem. I am not assuming you are a criminal but only read what you post. If your intentions are to purchase a OS and format the drive then there is no problem. In my reply I never accused you of being a criminal but only stated the legalities of the situation and the Terms of Use of GTG that we all agreed to follow when we became registered users. Below is my statement

I'm sorry to hear this as this not only will eventually cause problems with updating the system files, is against Microsoft's Eula it is also strictly against GTG Terms of USE. We cannot assist you any further since you have expressed the desire to use a illegal installation of the OS. This topic is closed till a Global Mod or Admin can talk to you or reopen the topic.

I see no where I accused you of anything except where you said in post 7 the following:

And i don't care if its legal... so long as no one finds out

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
FYI, to make it POSSIBLE you'd have to reinstall the OS anyway. any version of windows above windows 2000 DOES NOT transfer hardware profiles well.

SINCE your original system (the hard drive from the gateway) was an OEM install, the only LEGAL place for that OS (the original vista) to be used is that gateway computer. you cannot take that and install it in a different computer (even if you had the original OEM disk crom gateway) under the OEM license. You can't use an upgrade license of win7 to do a clean install either, you have to have a legal original base OS for the upgrade to be legal.

also, there is no way to missread "And i don't care if its legal... so long as no one finds out" so please don't claim that you were missunderstood.

you'll have to purchase a new license for your OS if you're wanting to install it on a new computer

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but thought I'd help explain.

OEM licences are sold at a discount to system builders. They are only valid on the system to which they were installed. Windows creates a unique identifier based on the hardware installed in the system. You can't transfer it to another system even if you wanted, it won't activate. A retail license of Windows does allow it to be transferred to another system, but at a price. They cost more. Also, any support for OEM Windows comes from the system builder, not Microsoft.

For example at Newegg.com you can purchase a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium for $199. While through a loophole they are allowed to sell an OEM version at $94.99. The retail version can be transferred to another system and comes with support from Microsoft, the OEM does not.