Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys Gear Upload Limit?

• Please log in to reply

Busy

Busy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello:

I'm in the process of turning my shed into an office. In the mean time, I've purchased the Linksys E4200 Router, a Linksys GB switch, and the Linksys WET610 wireless access point. For now, all of this equipment is in my current office inside the house.

The current setup -
Internet comes from the wall to the modem. Internet goes from the modem to the E4200 Wireless router. The router sends the signal to the WET610 wiress access point. Signal passes from the access point into the switch. And my PC is plugged into the switch. The wireless signal, between the router and access point, is only having to travel about three feet at this point. When my shed conversion is complete, I had hoped to move my PC, the switch, and the access point out to the new office and everything would already be configured. The reason I have the switch between the access point and the PC is because I'll be hooking other PCs to this network and will be moving large amounts of data between them. I was using the switch as a means to create a GB connection between the PCs so we could bypass the wireless portion of the network when moving these large files. Talking from PC to PC would all be done through the switch but access to the Internet would go from the switch to the adapter and then to the wireless router.

OK, now that I've explained my current configuration (it's all still in the house - haven't moved to the shed yet) and why I have these devices, I can finally tell you about my problem.

I was going to upload a small video from my phone to my website but was having trouble uploading. The file is approximately 90MB and I moved it from my phone to my PCs hard drive. I used Dreamweaver to connect to my site's hosting server, and started the FTP process. It would upload about 6MB or so and then would say "Connecting to the server." After about the third or fourth time, it would bomb. Hmm, I wasn't sure if it was the hosting server, the wireless, my FTP, etc. I removed the CAT6 cable coming from the PC out of the switch and plugged it directly into the router. When I tried the process again, I had no issues at all. The upload was flawless.

Do any of you know if there is some kind of bandwidth cap on any of these Linksys devices? I currently don't have any other systems on this network so I know I'm not having bandwith issues and I've had this network in place for about a week and half now and have had no issues with browsing the web or downloading content - even large files or streaming video.

Any ideas? I'm going to be uploading files to the web from my shed in the near future and would like to have this issue resolved, but can't find any kind of settings on any of this equipment that would cause this issue. Hmm, I could call Linksys, but it would be a nightmare since we'd be troubleshooting at least three of their devices - YUK!

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

busypcdude

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hi busypcdude,

I can only think that the wireless must be the issue since the upload works fine with a wired connection. None of the equipment mentioned should suffer any loss or "limit" the upload speed or size.

Also, I'm just wondering why you are using dreamweaver for uploads. If your simply uploading files I would recommend using a dedicated FTP program such as FileZilla (available for free from: Here). I'm not sure if this would be the cause of the issue but I would check this first to rule out software "errors".

If it's not that then there may be some sort of wireless interference affecting the connection - the devices might actually be too close together?

I would try a different FTP program first then make sure there is nothing that could be affecting the wireless - let me know if anything changes.

Thanks.

Busy

Busy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hendaz:

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been busy and need to do further testing before reposting.

I had moved my PC back to the patch cable running to my router so I could bypass the wireless the other day and uploaded my video with no issues. Later, on the same day, I threw the system back on the wireless config and tested and was able to upload the video just fine. At first, wireless wasn't working for uploads....and then it was. Downloads, as I mentioned before, have never been an issue.

So I stayed on the wireless and have been watching the activity of the last week or so. Here's an interesting one - it seems that certain applications just don't play well with this wireless connection and I can't possibly imagine what's going on. I've never heard of such a thing. For example - I've got a youtube video playing full screen on one monitor and open my e-mail app (Windows Live Mail) on the other. The app opened and pulled in the headers for all of my emails, but not the messages within them. In other words, I could see I had a new email from my friend but when I clicked on that email, the message never appeared in the reading pane. I closed my browser (meaning I turned off Youtube) so there would be no traffic on the network and the mail app still wouldn't connect. Then, I opened the browser back up, surfed over to Youtube (no issues there), and started playing a video (no issues there either). Still, the dadgum mail app wouldn't work. I just don't get it.

It's like SOMETIMES traffic is being blocked by certain apps or something. I can't say it's the wireless connection because downloading ALWAYS WORKS FLAWLESSLY ALL THE TIME. Uploading was an issue with Dreamweaver that one time and now my mail app is acting funny. Maybe the mail app is trying to push data to the POP server and can't get out or something? I don't know. I just don't know. I've never seen such iratic behavior before.

Maybe it's the app itself. I suppose it could be, but I've never had any issues with Dreamweaver or the mail app before I made this wireless connection. In addition, when I move back to the wire everything seems to be OK.

Just what in the world is going on here? Do you, or anyone else here, have any clue what could cause these issues?

Thanks,

Busy PC Dude