Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NTLDRIS MISSING

• Please log in to reply

jimbo10

jimbo10

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I WAS TRYING TO REINSTALL WINDOWS XP BUT IT KEPTS SAYING NTLDR IS MISSING AND I DO HAVE THE CD THAT CAME WITH COMPUTER.WHAT CAN I DO.i HAVE A DELL LATITUDE D610

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
NTLDR is a program loaded from the hard drive boot sector that displays the Microsoft Windows NT startup menu and helps Microsoft Windows XP load. If you have wiped the drive the below will not work. What happens when you try getting into the BIOS? Does it show the hard drive in the BIOS? Many dells had recovery partitions on the HD. All the CD did was to access the recovery partition. If the HD was repartitioned and the recovery partition was lost then the recovery CD would not work. Before trying the below i would try using a regular windows XP CD just to see if it will boot and then to see if the recovery partition was there on the HD.

Windows XP replacing the ntldr files

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. You are copying these files from the CD-ROM in the CD drive.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Lastly it may be the HD has some bad sectors in the boot area of the drive and may never work at all. If this has happened then a replacement drive will be needed.

SRX660

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Lastly it may be the HD has some bad sectors in the boot area of the drive and may never work at all. If this has happened then a replacement drive will be needed.

SRX660

Hi there

SRX660 is bang on however I would like to add something else that you can try with the bad sectors however this is not guaranteed. Chkdsk can be a useful tool. If the above does not work please try the following. Within the recovery console type chkdsk /r and hit enter. Please be aware there is a space with chkdsk /r Also if chkdsk fails try doing a format and reinstall of the operating system (only do this if you have not done it before). If both fail then a hard drive replacement maybe the only option. Thought I would post this as I have encountered this problem many of times and have managed to fix this with information I have provided.

Thanks