Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB drive not recognized by XP

• Please log in to reply

BIGROD

BIGROD

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I just purchased a Sandisk Cruzer 16GB USB drive and it is not being recognized by my PC. It doesn't show up in My Computer but does show up in Device Manager with the dreaded yellow question mark in addition to an exclamation mark. It's plug and play, but all indications are that the necessary drivers are missing from my system. I've uninstalled/installed and disabled/enabled with no such luck. It does work in my other pc. I also fear this may be related to another topic I started a couple of weeks back: Both of PC's DVD Drives are not recognized/working

I have attached some screengrabs that I hope can be helpful. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• device mngr.JPG
  • cruzer properties.JPG
  • comp mgmt.JPG

Edited by BIGROD, 09 July 2011 - 06:55 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I found out long ago the XP cannot read the new High Capacity flash drives and cards(larger than 2 gigs). Vista has some problems with some large cards, and Win 7 does not seem to have any problems at all reading the new cards and flash drives.My fix to be able to use SDHC cards in XP was to buy a Sandisk Micromate adapter.

http://www.amazon.co...=A18L51YSS6FNZE

While Microsoft put out a fix for this problem my XP computer still won't read 8 gig or larger flash drives. So i bought some large micro sd cards and use them. It helps that most of the new cameras and most cell phones use these micro flash cards.

SRX660