Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop help

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i recently bought a laptop from my friend for 10bux. he bought a new one and i was like wut the heck, 10bux for any laptop is ok to me. its a very slow laptop but i need help wit it. its a compaq armada 1550DMT. it was given to me wit windows 98 installed and it worked decent. it was able to play runescape wit a couple slowdowns on lowest quality. the problem is that then, it was listed under my computer properties as a 500mhz cpu. well jus like a couple minutes ago i completed installing xp pro. infact, i am typing from it right now (i installed a wireless card and all). now this time, under my computer properties, the cpu is listed as 133mhz. i looked around on the internet, and it says this is a 131mhz-233mhz cpu (many sites vary for some reason if I am looking at the right laptop). i came across one on epinions and so i went wit that. it was listed as 133mhz on that website and had 16mb memory. well my laptop has 80mb memory and it was listed as 500mhz before. now it is 133mhz and has 80mb memory. could someone tell me if it is just a mistake and if not, how can i overlock and if I should overclock?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Surprised you got Win XP Pro installed at all. Here's specs for XP Pro :

System Requirements

* PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
* 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
* 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
* Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
* CD-ROM or DVD drive
* Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Look in System Information, Programs>Accessories>System Tools, I think and see what it reports. Or get Everest Home Edition and look under whatever catagory of information it reports.

You are mixing 500MHz and 80Mb. First is Processor "speed" and second one is referring to your RAM in millions of bytes.

Ron

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Your post raised enough curiousity that I looked your machine up. If you've got the model # right, that is indeed a 133MHZ processor and if you have 80MB of memory (max for that machine was 96) I'd have to personally see XP running on it to believe it. No, not even a sworn statement from Bill Clinton would convince me otherwise. Having said that, Windows 95 is about the only thing thats going to run decently on there. 98 will run but it too will run painfully slow.

:tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Your post raised enough curiousity that I looked your machine up. If you've got the model # right, that is indeed a 133MHZ processor and if you have 80MB of memory (max for that machine was 96) I'd have to personally see XP running on it to believe it. No, not even a sworn statement from Bill Clinton would convince me otherwise. Having said that, Windows 95 is about the only thing thats going to run decently on there. 98 will run but it too will run painfully slow.

View Post

Yep. Thanks for additional check Rockster2U. That's why I posted the requirements for Win XP Pro.

That would be a very good and expensive upgrade to that laptop. ;) Hope he gets the free EVEREST Home Edition and uses it if he wants to find out everything about his laptop in an organized manner.

I imagine it has 96 MB of RAM installed and is reporting only what is available for use. Seems a little high to set aside about 17% of total RAM for itself, but I never have owned a laptop.

Ron

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Believe it had 16Mb on the board and has a 64 MB SODIMM in it. That would make it an even 80 and no, I don't know how it is reporting (if at all) shared video but this was a pre-98 machine so its suspect to me that any more than 4MB max would be used.

Point well taken though - I admire your diplomacy, Major.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ya, thats wut i meant ron. i read it over and it does sound like that. anyway, i am goin to post a pic. wut i dont understand is it said 500mhz before. ill post a pic of it now and reinstall 98 and show it again. i have installed 98 on it 2 times before xp and it showed 500mhz as the cpu speed.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi neilp4453 :

Strange, but since you actually installed XP Pro, the 500 MHz CPU report is probably the correct one as XP Pro requires a minimum of 300 MHz. Now you have me very curious. :tazz:

You might still want to get the free copy of EVEREST Home Edition as it it will report everything in a lot more useful format. Get it here :

Everest Home Edition

Ron

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Your friend either upgraded or got a lucky choice when he got that one... perhaps he just did some amazing oc trick... that would be something... my laptop is a pre 98 laptop too... although i upgraded to 98 finly... and personally, im not fond of xp which is on my desktop, so i keep the laptop on98 an would go bak to 95 if it didnt hav compatability issues with todays softwares an devices. Personally i think 95 was windows top product an 98 se a close second. Would anyone care to see my laptops ... "specs" ?? :tazz: