Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting Problem Can't be Solved by Startup Repair

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JR2008

JR2008

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all,

I will try my best to be concise and provide the necessary information. I own the Fujitsu T5010 Tablet PC. It did not manage to safely shutdown yesterday and I find myself unable to boot up the computer like usual. It will reach the screen with "Microsoft Corporation" below a loading bar, and will prompt a restart after a few mins wait, sometimes with a BSOD that flashes for a split second before the laptop restarts.

I then proceed to the StartUp recovery and attempt to repair the problem. However, a cmd window will open with error messages such as

* "Unable to restore the data because the hard disk can not be recognized. Please contact Fujitsu Computer Systems Corporation or your dealer"
* "The recovery and the utility disc can not be started because of the unexpected error in the hard disk. Please try again to restart the Recovery and Utility disc. If you see the same error again, there is a possibility that tour hard disk might be corrupt."

These error messages will show up without fail whenever I try to StartUp repair. Thinking that it may be a hard disk failure, I went to the bios setup to check. The drives are (correctly, I presumed) displayed as

* Drive0 [Hitachi HTS54323...]
* Drive1 [MATSHITADVD-RAM UK8...]

I initially suspected a hard disk failure, as I have the HDD replaced in this very same laptop about 1.5 years ago. But this time, it was different. Using Ultimate Boot CD or the Windows Vista Recovery Disc, I was able to navigate in the directory and both my C and D drives and their files are intact. I also ran the diagnostic programme in the Windows Recovery Disc and it says that the hardware are all fine.

So I google around and there were suggestions to disable ACHI in BIOS. I tried it, the booting problem persists, but this time I am able to StartUp repair. I run the repair process a few times, some of which indiates that the problem could not be fixed and display the message in the report "A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting", whereas for a few instances, StartUp repair concluded successfully but the computer is still unable to boot.

In conclusion, the booting problem persists irregardless of the ACHI option (but harddisk will only be recognized if ACHI is disabled, and I think ACHI is enabled all along even when before this problem came up since I used the default settings), and I believes that the failure to boot was due to a one-time unexpected shutdown and I did not change any hardware stuff.

I will appreciate any help. Thank you in advance! (:

Advertisements

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hi
:) . My name is Michael and I am here to help you fix your computer. :unsure:

Note: Before we start the process you should:
  • POST your logs, don't attach them, as it makes it harder to read. Also please don't edit any log in any case
  • Disable ANY programs that offer real-time protection features while executing my instructions. That includes your antivirus, antispyware, windows defender or any other program that offers protection. When you're clean or waiting for my next set of instructions, re-enable them .If you need any help disabling them, ask.
  • Last, as most of the tools we use here need administrative rights in order to function properly, I expect that you will be running them from an administrator account.

Try to load last known good configuration. Tutorial here

If that fails, try to boot into safe mode and tell me if it works. To boot into safe mode, instead of selecting Windows Advanced Options Menu", select Safe mode

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.