Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive has vanished!

• Please log in to reply

mindbenderz

mindbenderz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, the hard drive is a slave drive and has never been anything but a slave drive. It is critical that I get this thing working again because all of my school work, pictures of friends, family and my daughter as she grows up are on this.

I just got a new mobo, ram and chip for my primary pc. I used the same primary as before in this new one, updated a few things and it boots fine. The slave, however, just isnt there. And nothing I do makes it appear in BIOS, disk management or anything. And I have tried SOOO many different things. I have

1) set the jumpers accordingly
2) plugged it in as slave in my 2nd network pc
3) set it as primary chained to the disk drive to potentially install windows on the 2nd (non important) partition
4) plugged the power supply and necessary components to the old mobo setup including another spare master with OS XP and the slave
5) got an external HD USB casing to plug it in through USB
6) put an IDE to SATA converter on it and plugged it in to an SATA slot

I think thats everything I tried. Its all I can remember. I didnt change any settings on that slave drive. I didnt put any software or anything on that slave. No changes. Nothing. I just left it as the slave in the new setup, and now all of a sudden nothing at all recognizes it. I need the contents of this drive. Im not going to lose it. I have to be missing something here that is causing the issue. Please help!

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Have you tried your old board?
Reset all the jumpers, then put it into another computer.
If it still refuses to work, then I am afraid you will have to ask Ontrack.

Edited by devper94, 10 July 2011 - 09:24 AM.

mindbenderz

mindbenderz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah, that was my 4th item above

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
There is a possibility that you have damaged your hard disk board while upgrading your system.
Try the drive on another computer, with another cable, ...
If it fails to work, then I am afraid I will not be able to help you.

mindbenderz

mindbenderz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yup, tried all that too. cant see how I damaged it in anyway since I didnt originally move it, knock it or anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
There are many causes for HDD damage: power surge, a short circuit...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is indeed damaged it could just be a bad timing that it happened. HD's are mechanical parts and like any mechanical part can fail all of a sudden or show signs of failing.
These could be slowness, difficulty booting, noise, heat, click of death.

mindbenderz

mindbenderz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

wouldnt this only work if it recognized the hard drive when it booted?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not really but if the drive is indeed dead then you are right it won't work.
Looking at the list you performed on checking the drive I would have to say the drive has failed. If connecting it to a known working system and even attempting a external enclosure shows no life it is safe to say the drive has failed.