Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio Driver needed

• Please log in to reply

teej028

teej028

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I have an HP pavilion laptop and it used to run XP very smoothly until i got a virus that would not allow me to start up any programs at all, including the recovery processes. So I searched through all my computer CDs and found a copy of Windows XP and loaded it from startup. Now I have an operating computer, but no audio drivers or devices installed because the copy of windows XP was for a GATEWAY computer and not my Pavilion. I cannot locate my original CDs and am a poor college student who cannot afford to buy any new hardware and my warranty is out of date. I have searched and searched and downloaded lots of things that should have fixed my audio driver, except that my computer has registry problems because it is not a legitimate copy of XP for my pavilion. Can anyone SPELL out for me how to download a FREE driver and hardware that works so that my computer will play sound? Thanks.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
I am very sorry, but it is a policy of Geeks to Go not to provide support for users with pirated software, as stated in the Terms of Use.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would be legal for you to borrow a XP OEM version and then use your reg key to activate and authenticate. We can then help but using the Gateway installation disk is asking for problem as all the drivers will be wrong and as devper94 stated it is a illegal installation since the disk actually goes to a Gateway computer and there for it can only be installed on that particular model of Gateway.